Chapter 8- Revelation

"Alexei?" Artemis waved a hand in front of his face. "Are you alright? You seem worried."

His eyes had become reasonably darker. He pursed his lips at Artemis's question.

They had successfully exited Rosaria Forest without any sort of complication with Alexei by their side. 

"How long do we have to walk?" Rosy groaned unhappily. Her dress was dirty and her hair greasy. She had refused to wash herself in the lake, finding it uncivilized. 

"A little while longer," Alexei replied softly. He sighed, and stared into the setting sun. The sky was splashed with pink, red, orange, and yellow. The dull glare of the large orange ball that fell over the grassy horizon seemed to pierce right through Artemis.

A cool breeze passed by, brushing all their hair back, and making them momentarily squint to avoid soil or sand grains irritating their eyes. The wind tousled their hair a few seconds longer which very much felt like hours. When Artemis glanced at the orange ball again, her heart fell. That array of bright colours merged together near the apparent surface of the sun... She'd seen it exactly like this before. Artemis and Allegra, the closest thing she'd ever had to family, had enjoyed a colorful sunset exactly like this one together. That particular moment with Allegra was permanently etched into her mind, tormenting her.

"Artemis?" Rosy snapped her back to reality, making her jump slightly.

"Y-yes," Artemis' voice shook. Alexei's face was expressionless as his mismatched eyes stared into hers. She felt a chill climb up her spine.  Alexei was frightening. His stare was aimed to intimidate you, to make one feel self-conscious, and to make one be constantly alert and on guard. He was the manifestation of the words hidden danger.

"Are you alright?" Alexei's devilish look was replaced by warmth and concern.

"Memories," Artemis murmured softly. Rosy untangled herself from Alexei's arms and trotted up to Artemis.

"We'll take a break now," Rosy nodded. Alexei cleared his throat, and both of the girls looked at him.

"Allegra?" Alexei guessed, a small smile tugging on his perfect lips. Artemis felt a sudden realization; moreover, a memory hit her. It retreated as soon as it came. 

"Don't ask how I knew," Alexei ordered just as her mouth had opened to ask exactly that. 

"Okay, I'm going to wash. I can't take this filthiness anymore," Rosy surrendered, "Please stay here. I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Wait," Artemis and Alexei called. Rosy looked over her shoulder, and her eye gleamed a crimson, shutting the both of them up.

"I can take care of myself," Rosy's voice was distant and empty. Artemis started towards Rosy, but Alexei waved her back.

"She'll be alright," he assured. Artemis glared at him.

"I didn't want to tell you this in front of her since she favours you so greatly, but please refrain from interfering between her and I," Artemis snapped unintentionally. Alexei shrunk back, a little hurt. Artemis had no obligation to apologize.

"You used to live in Bahamut's Lair?" Artemis remembered. Her voice dripped with sarcasm.

"Yes," Alexei was confused at her sarcastic tone.

"No one can approach that isle without being destroyed by the dragon king," Artemis rolled her eyes.

Alexei grasped her reason for sarcasm, and snickered.

"Truthfully, where do you come from?" Artemis demanded.

"Bahamut's Lair," Alexei responded haughtily. "I'm not lying."

"How is that possible?" Artemis had unintentionally raised her musical soprano voice.

Alexei smiled evilly. "I have the Dragon King's power at the tip of my fingers."

Artemis stood there silently, awestruck and dumbfounded.

"S-sure you do," Artemis joked nervously.

"I control the Bahamut. I am the Bahamut's master," Alexei continued, his voice clear. He paused to see Artemis' reaction. She was utterly bewildered.

"T-that means?" Artemis stuttered.

"I have defeated the Dragon King," Alexei clarified.

Artemis blinked. She remembered Demetri's attempt to defeat the Bahamut, and he returned soon afterwards on the brink of death. Cornelia had tried to take the Bahamut to defeat Xerxes. She had failed, returning with her body almost broken. This man standing in front of her... this stranger... surpassed even Demetri and Cornelia?

This couldn't be possible.

"Granted the power of the Dragon King," Alexei said. "I will not let the Devil be freed."

Artemis' mouth was dry, and her heart rate was climbing rapidly. Alexei had a strange look in his eyes. He approached her, pinning her against the trunk of a nearby tree.

"You will be nothing but a hindrance to me," Alexei whispered. A sheathed sword materialized in his right hand. Artemis' eyes widened, and she summoned her silver sword as well. But the sword disintegrated just as soon as it materialized.

"You have absolutely no chance against me," Alexei whispered, unsheathing his sword. Artemis inspected the broad silver sword closely. On the hilt, an illustration of a dragon was engraved. A dark green aura surrounded the blade of the sword. Artemis kicked the tree behind her with all her strength, sending it crashing down with a thud, and leaping backwards on a fallen branch. [A/N: She can kick down a tree o.O]

"I won't die without a fight," Artemis smirked, sending beams of glowing purple lights crashing towards Alexei from the tips of her fingers. He dodged every single one of them, which hit the ground, creating a deep dent in the soil with rising smoke. She was quite sure she would lose this battle, but she would try as hard as she could. Alexei slashed the wind with his sword, and the wind began amassing at the single point, making whooshing noises as it circled around in a spiral. It flew towards Artemis at very high speed, and she leapt out of the way. The wind spiral cut every tree it came across in half until Alexei called it off.

Alexei gasped softly with wide eyes, and his sword disintegrated. The trees regained their original form and the dents on the soil cleared themselves. He put a finger to his lips and glared at her menacingly. She flipped her hair over her shoulder as a sign of disapproval. From afar, Rosy trotted back towards them, smiling from ear to ear. She hadn't heard the commotion? Her hair was dripping on her arms, and her skin was clearer. Artemis recalled the crimson gleam Rosy had shot at her and Alexei.

"Welcome back, Rosy," Alexei smiled, scooping the twelve year old into his arms and hugging her tight. Artemis had half a mind to go slap him across the face.

She held back. Who knows what the consequences would be of her thoughtless actions?

Alexei was not evil. He showed love only to little Euphrosyne. The revelation sent her heart racing. He would try everything to get rid of Artemis, for a reason she did not know.

She still failed to comprehend what he had meant by saying, "You will be nothing but a hindrance to me."