Chapter 50- The Queen Returns

The crystal encasing Queen Cornelia cracked ever so slightly.

                -

                Losse carefully placed the open book over the surface of the table. He breathed inwardly, releasing his breath with a jumble of words.

               The incantation fluttered about the room, bouncing off every surface, touching every molecule. Surely and gradually, a dark tangle of vines emerged from the tips of Losse’s fingers. Each of the vines settled over the blank page, merging into symbols.

                Finally, Losse’s jade eyes glowed brightly.

                He had found her.

                -

                Vesta waited for the signal. Losse would notify her when the ritual was complete. She squeezed her hands together in anxiety, feeling goosebumps rise on the length of her arms and neck.

                Arisa had gone to Rosy, leaving Vesta to endure the suffering of waiting all alone. She paced the length of the narrow hall, breathing quickly.

                What if he was unsuccessful?

                Their entire plan would be curbed, and the Devil would be victorious. It was unthinkable for all their efforts to fall short at this point.

                He’ll do it, Vesta assured herself. Losse Armont was a powerful individual.

                A loud crash sounded in the hallway from the ritual’s designated room. She rushed at the door, forcing it open with her knee.

                Her mouth fell open.

                The flawless, powerful figure of the revered Queen Cornelia stood, clothed and mighty, cradled by her figure long midnight blue hair. Her amaranthine eyes were scanning her surroundings with utmost curiosity. She stepped down from the table, landing gracefully on her toes. Her arms picked up the exhausted, unconscious Losse, and finally, she met Vesta’s gaze.

                It felt as if lightning coursed through Vesta’s body.

                Losse had been successful.

                -

                The Exedras twins leaped to their feet simultaneously, feeling the emergence of Cornelia. Hurriedly, they abandoned the rest of the group, maneouvering down the tangles of hallways to where Losse was supposedly holding the ritual.

                The presence’s strength increased with every step the queens took. Even in a hurry, the two queens were elegant and graceful in their movements.

                They arrived to a stupefied Vesta staring into eyes brimming with sheer strength and determination.

                “Queen Cornelia,” Vesta regained her voice, though cracked and hesitant, “Welcome back.”

                And then she spoke with an amused tenderness to her deep voice, “Took you long enough.”

                -

                Cytheria and Marklen, patrolling the outside of the palace, halted abruptly at the new pulsating power within the elaborate bulding.