Chapter 28- Ariadne Ellery

Rosy pulled her mother’s cloak tightly around her and hugged her knees, trying to repel the cold. Arisa and Irma had fallen asleep without any trouble, and were clearly unaffected by the falling temperature. Rosy inched closer towards the bright fire Arisa had made. She rubbed her palms together, and shuddered when a cool wind bit at her exposed skin. She began wondering how Alexei and Artemis were faring.

The sound of the grass crackling under someone’s feet startled her. She stifled a gasp, and she tried not to turn her head. She could see a shadow lurking behind her because of the fire, and her heart rose to her throat. The shadow quickened its pace as it got closer to Rosy. The moment the shadow was completely inside Rosy’s own, Rosy leaped to the side.

The woman that had lunged towards her fell onto the grass with a huff. She frowned at Rosy with her teal green eyes, and pushed herself to her knees. Arisa stirred slightly, but hadn’t awoken. Irma slept like a log.

The woman inched closer to Rosy, with a finger on her lips. Her eyes were alarmed, and her skin was unnaturally pale, and resembled Artemis’s. Her hair was curly and golden-brown, spiraling down her back to her waist.

“Be quiet,” she mouthed. She beckoned Rosy towards her with her index finger, occasionally stealing glances at Arisa and Irma. Rosy hesitantly crawled closer.

“I am Ariadne Ellery,” the woman whispered in her ear, “I search for Allegra Lighte.”

Rosy blinked at her. “Allegra? She…”

Allegra had been absent, Rosy realized. How had Rosy not realized it? She furrowed her brow, and shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know where Allegra is. Who are you, exactly?”

“Do you recall that day, when Alexei revealed that he was an Isaura? When Cornelia first gained control over your body?” Ariadne whispered.

“After Artemis died,” Rosy remembered correctly, “What of it, and how do you know?”

“You received a note, warning you of Vesta’s resolve to kill you,” Ariadne confirmed. Rosy’s eyes widened. “Y-you?”

“No, that wasn’t me,” Ariadne vigorously shook her head, “It was my younger brother, Oakser Ellery.”

“Thank him for that,” Rosy mumbled softly. Ariadne’s teal eyes saddened and she bit her lip. “Don’t thank him. He is the one who killed Demetri, and the one who compelled Vesta to pursue you in the first place.”

Rosy looked annoyed. “I see.”

“Artemis killed me,” Ariadne admitted sourly, “And then Demetri killed Oakser.”

“What was the point of Demetri’s death anyway?” Rosy’s voice was louder than before. Ariadne helplessly glanced at Arisa. “I don’t know. Only Oakser knows. Now, Euphrosyne, I must go.”

Ariadne leaped to her feet, brushing her long black dress. She returned her gaze to Rosy. “Anything you can tell me about Allegra is useful.”

“I’m sorry,” Rosy apologized genuinely, “I don’t know anything. She simply vanished without us realizing a while back.”

Ariadne smiled, and her figure blended with the dark trees. Rosy sighed in relief. At least that person hadn’t had any pernicious intent. Rosy’s relief vanished as her head began calculating.

There were only two necromancers left in Tytania, one being Arisa. Ariadne had stated that Artemis had killed her. She had been raised, but not by Arisa. It was Allegra’s master that had reawakened Ariadne.

Had Ariadne been searching for Allegra on orders from their aforesaid master? But why? Rosy squinted into the darkness, hoping Ariadne was still there to present her with some answers. There was only one thing she could do now.

She scuttled to her mother’s sleeping figure, and gently tapped her on her shoulder. Arisa frowned, and her icy green eyes opened slowly. She smiled tiredly at Rosy.

“Mother,” Rosy’s voice shook. “I think Allegra is in danger.”

-

Alexei and Cytheria breathed in the fresh air outside of Vesta’s palace. They shot uneasy glances towards each other when they noted the impenetrable purplish-blue mist that covered the expanse behind the palace.

“Are you sure we should just leave?” Cytheria inquired, squeezing Alexei’s hand. Alexei pondered for a moment before replying. “It is better not to get involved.”

Cytheria’s shoulders drooped. “Maybe we should--..”

“Enough,” Alexei said tersely. “We’re leaving, Cytheria.”

“Excuse me?” Cytheria’s antagonizing expression had returned. “Are you ordering me?”

“Yes,” Alexei met her intense gaze with one of his own menacing ones. He could not afford to let Cytheria get hurt, and something in his gut compelled him to obey Vesta and leave everything in her hands.

“I’m going to stop her,” Cytheria concluded through gritted teeth. Alexei rolled his eyes at her when she whirled around and dashed to the door. In four long strides, Alexei caught up to her. He whacked her at the back of her head, allowing her eyes to close before flinging her over his shoulder.

He hoped he was doing the right thing by refusing to interfere in Vesta’s ritual.

A/N: This will be put on hold for two to three weeks, as you may already know. Just until I complete Avalon's Fate. Sorry for the inconvenience. But I'll try to resume it with a lengthy chapter. Thanks, all.