Chapter 19- A Mother's Sacrifice

Rosy stared wide-eyed with her mouth open. Tears blurred her vision when the humongous lump in her throat gave way to sobs. She staggered slowly, closing the distance between her mother’s kind face and herself.

“Mama?” Rosy said disbelievingly. Arisa was at a loss for words, and simply nodded. She opened her arms for her daughter, and Rosy sped up and collided with Arisa.

“Rosy,” Arisa whispered in between sobs into her daughter’s sweet-smelling hair. “My Rosy, I- I’m so sorry!”

Rosy tightened her arms around Arisa’s neck, burying her face in her chest. Both their shoulders shook with sobs, while the spectators watched, teary eyed.

“I love you,” Arisa whispered soothingly after a few moments. “I- I’m a horrible person, Rosy. P-please forgive me.”

Rosy was taken aback by these words, and stared in bewilderment into Arisa’s chocolate brown eyes. Arisa took control of her emotions, and steadied Rosy at arm’s length. Her jaw trembled slightly, as if trying to hold back sobs. Rosy furrowed her eyebrows in anxiety, wiping the dry tears from her cheeks.

“Wha-…” Rosy opened her mouth to speak, but Arisa placed a hand softly over her mouth.

“Don’t speak. Let me explain first,” Arisa croaked. She glanced at Artemis, and at once, Artemis scuttled over to Rosy, squeezing her hand. Rosy frowned in bafflement. The mother daughter moment should have lasted longer, she thought wistfully.

“Do you remember that day, when Artemis arrived to take you?” Arisa inquired softly. Rosy reluctantly nodded; how could she ever forget?

“Demetri also came, that same day, to take you as well,” Arisa recalled. “Your father was against handing you over to Demetri at first, because of me. I had specifically asked him not to allow anybody to lay a finger on you, be it Demetri or Queen Vesta herself. Hugh was very confused at first, and constantly fought with me. He was aware of what I am able to do. He knows that I can bring back the dead.”

“He argued with me. He told me to simply hand you over at the Royal Palace, so you could easily have the Devil’s tear extracted in a short time. Of course, you would lose your life… But he thought I could easily resurrect you, and you could live your life as a normal village girl. I almost caved in, seeing as you would have a comfortable life, before I truly looked into Artemis’ eyes. She was determined… She was determined to protect you, Rosy. You, who she had never met before. The entire Rains family thought you a burden. But Artemis! She… She inspired me, Rosy.”

“Inspired you?” Rosy asked in a low voice. If it had been that easy, why did her mother not simply let Demetri take her? Instead of having her suffer so much!

“She taught me to never take the easy way out. Even if there were a million more gains than losses in taking the easy way. I realized that I wanted you to embark on this journey for your life. I didn’t, and I still don’t, want you to die. I didn’t want to grant you eternal life as a.. as a .. zombie! You’ve grown so much, Rosy. You’ve gained another mother and father as well. Artemis and Alexei. They love you just as much as I do, I can see that. Tell me, Rosy… Would you prefer your life now with Artemis and Alexei, or the consistent routine you followed before all this happened?”

Rosy was speechless. She noticed that her mother had been crying through her entire talk. Rosy wondered; which life did she truly want? After a seemingly long time of thought, Rosy cleared her throat. Everyone present was waiting curiously for her answer. Rosy swallowed the uncomfortable lump clogging her throat and grinned.

“I would choose the life with Artemis and Alexei,” Rosy replied. Her vision was slightly blurred, and she gasped to feel betraying tears spilling down her cheeks.

“I realize your life would have been much easier if I had only just caved in to Demetri’s demands,” Arisa admitted with an unfathomable expression. “But I do not regret giving you to Artemis.”

“I’m happy that you don’t, Mother,” Rosy smiled. Arisa was surprised by Rosy’s calm demeanour and serenity. She fell to her knees, and broke into cries. Rosy was alarmed by her mother’s sudden breakdown, and instantly rushed over to her side to soothe her.

She noticed the small detail that sent her heart soaring. Her mother was smiling. Arisa was happy. Artemis let out an involuntary giggle, and soon, the entire group burst into nervous laughter.

“I love you, Mother,” Rosy kissed Arisa’s cheek. “Mama knows best. That’s what you always told me!"

"Why did you hide yourself from me, for so long?" Rosy asked quietly.

"Because I thought you wouldn't forgive me," Arisa replied through gritted teeth.

“Arisa Rains?” Cytheria interrupted in a slightly cold voice. Rosy had realized that that was her usual voice, and it contained a hint of sympathy and emotion this time.

“Yes?” Arisa met Cytheria’s eyes.

“Who are you, really?” Cytheria asked the question that had been disturbing both Rosy and Alexei. Arisa smiled sweetly. “I have no clue.”

The entire crowd silenced. An air of tension fell upon them.

“What do you mean?” Cytheria demanded, her eyes slitting frighteningly like a cat’s.

“I have no memory of my true family. I was born into this world alone. The Rains household took me in when I was barely eight years old,” Arisa shrugged dismissively. Then she locked gazes with Allegra, who shrunk back.

“I want to meet your master, Allegra,” Arisa ordered curtly. “He is a necromancer, like me. He may know who I am.”

“What about your name?” Irma spoke, startling Rosy. She hadn’t heard Irma’s voice in a while.

“My name was given to me by Hugh’s father. Hugh was my arranged husband, and I soon grew to love him. We were the closest of friends,” Arisa explained kindly to Irma.

“But you were not in love?” Allegra asked in a soft and smooth voice.

“No,” Arisa laughed. “I love him as my best friend, but not as a lover.”

“Mistress!” Demetri shouted. “Rosy!”

Arisa turned around, startled, to see her daughter’s bleeding eyes.