Chapter 9- Goodbye

Demetri entered the room which held the notorious mirror. From within, a white cloud of smoke puffed repeatedly from its surface.

"Demetri," a strained voice whispered. It was a different voice from usual. Demetri failed to respond.

"Don't undo Cornelia's efforts," the strained voice pleaded, "Please, don't bring the tear to release me." 

Demetri just watched as the mirror returned to its dark grey cloudiness, and pondered deeply about those words. 

Artemis pulled the black hood over her head and tightened her fingers around Euphrosyne's soft hand. Alexei did the same, and grasped Rosy's other hand. It was a ridiculous rivalry for the little girl. Alexei shot Artemis his signature smirk which was quickly replaced with a warmth imbued smile when Rosy looked up at him. Artemis grunted under her breath, and began scanning her surroundings.  

"Where are we?" Artemis inquired, not recalling ever seeing this town before. The small brick buildings were clean and the atmosphere reasonably pleasant. Conversations of the crowd were nothing but an endless buzz. The mouth watering scent of freshly baked cakes filled her nostrils, and she grinned as she noticed the quaint bakery a few buildings ahead.

The numerous buildings and structures were all alike. They were sandy brown, four stories high with three brown framed windows for each story, and two large ebony doors serving as the entrance. A particular shop stand was set up for each building. A

rtemis hopped up and down with excitement and squirmed her way through the crowd towards the bakery. She heard Alexei and Rosy laugh after her, but chose to ignore them. She stopped short at the bright yellow counter and grinned at the homely looking man on the other side. He had midnight black hair combed neatly to one side, high cheekbones, and friendly sky blue eyes. He wore a simple white apron and loose white trousers. Artemis eyed the cake with keen interest.  

"Ahilto," the man greeted in what Artemis recognized as Tytania's ancient language. Artemis played it safe and decided to feign incomprehension. She shook her head in confusion and the man guffawed before waving a hand towards the brown goodness of the cake.  

"Would you like some?" He asked politely. Artemis nodded enthusiastically, and reached into her black waist belt to pull out some money. The man cut her half of the round cake, and began packing it in a white box with a red ribbon.  

"Thirty seren?" The man held his hand out. Artemis fumbled in her waist belt pockets, and frowned when all she could find was twenty. Her heart fell at the thought of abandoning the delicious cake. A dull purple note was thrust into the man's hand, and she saw Rosy and Alexei smiling at her, bemused. Alexei had provided the money.  

"Thank you," the man said. He handed her the white box, and Artemis that her head was near explosion with happiness. She hadn't had cake in ages.

"It's just cake," Alexei muffled his laughter. Artemis raised an eyebrow. His attitude towards her bewildered her. He was deadly one minute, with true intent to kill in his eyes, and gentlemanly and warm the next. 

"I like baked goods," Artemis stuck her tongue out. "Oh, and thank you." 

Alexei waved his hand dismissively and his midnight blue eye sparkled against the sunlight.  

"We should find an inn," Rosy suggested responsibly, her eyes also focused on the white box in Artemis' arms. Alexei snickered.  

"That's going to be a mission," Alexei muttered. "This place is packed." 

"Where are we, again?" Artemis inquired, carefully shifting her head so her hood stayed in place.  

"You've never been here before?" Alexei inquired in confusion. "Merchant town Kriest."