Past

Shouto's attention was reverted to Midoriya.

Aizawa sighed. "I'm not sure, in all honesty. All I recall is bringing her to an orphanage at first, but she always went missing, being found in odd places like alleyways and rooftops. She didn't speak until... perhaps 9 years old. At least, not to us."

You walked into the common room and tilted your head. "I wasn't aware that I was such an interesting topic of conversation."

"Y-Y/N!"

"You needn't worry." You sat down at the couch. "I don't mind. As long as it isn't anything bad. I finished the case, by the way, Aizawa-sensei."

"Right. Don't start working on Work Study forms just yet."

Midoriya raised a brow. "Work Study forms?"You nodded. "I was recommended to rejoin Fatgum in a work study for the time being for..." You paused. "...another case. Perhaps you caught the eye of one of our upperclassmen."

"Speaking of upperclassman, I didn't know you were friends with them!" Mina said.

You cleared your throat, avoiding the topic. "I'll be organizing the make up exams for those who failed the Provisional License Exams now."

"You're doing that too?!"

Aizawa put his hand on your shoulder. "Why don't you take a break? The make up exams won't be until a while from now." You looked down. "Alright."

"Have you completed the homework already?" Iida questioned.

"A year ago. I got the homework the first years got when I was doing written training."

"Oh. Right."

You faced the floor, hearing the somewhat... disappointed tone in Iida's voice. You didn't know a lot about what made people disappointed or angry or upset, but it felt terrible when you accidentally made them feel such feelings.

Midoriya noticed your dulled eyes and smiled at you. "If you can, will you be willing to help?"

You looked up and nodded. "Alright."

Shouto stared for a long time. It was an odd habit he managed to pick up from being acquainted with you for a while.

"Y/N."

"Ye- Oh. Nejire. I wasn't expecting you to be on the first year floor. Is something the matter?" She shook her head. "Nothing's wrong! It's about the work studies."

"I see." You got to your feet. "Sorry Mina, Sero, Shouto, Iida-san, Midoriya. I must be going now." You followed Nejire to the third year area of the dormitories, leaving the others in the common room with the unfinished homework.

"You seemed to be making friends!"

"I was helping them with their homework."

She giggled. "Well, if this were a few months earlier, you would be like, 'Oh, I'm busy' or 'You should be able to do it independently.' Since you were always busy with some shady stuff."

You fell silent.

"That... made me sound very cold." You looked down. "Although, admittedly, I most likely was."

Nejire looked down. "Sorry, I didn't mean to strike the wrong chord in you." She put her hand on your shoulder with a smile. "But none of us look at you from the way your past looks. That'd just be unfair, since you can't control that anymore, right?"

You stared at her for a moment. "I'm surprised that you didn't say something along the lines of 'what matters is what your future looks like.'"

"No way, that's so cheesy!"

"I read it somewhere, I believe."

After stopping by your room, the two of you made your way to the third year dormitories, where Mirio and Tamaki were waiting. "Have you made your decision on who you wish to invite to your work studies?" You asked.

"You sound so formal, loosen up!" Mirio slapped your back and you were pushed forward a bit. "Anyways, yeah. I have at least. You know the green haired one?"

"Midoriya. Izuku Midoriya." You looked down at your clipboard and coloured in a name. "Tamaki? I don't recall you seeming to show any interest in any of my classmates."

He was silent for a moment, long enough for you to assume that he didn't have anyone in mind. That was until he quietly said, "The outgoing one. With red hair. Eijiro... something."

"Eijiro Kirishima. Good choice. He should work well with Fatgum. Nejire?"

"Those two cute ones! Uraraka and Asui!"

"I see. I'll relay this information to them." You began walking away when you stopped and turned back. "Also, Mirio, because of your decision, I advise you to speak with Midoriya first. Nighteye is not one to take in just anybody. Not that I think Midoriya falls under that category."

"You got it!"

You walked off, feeling the eyes of other third years on you. You didn't bother trying to listen to what they were saying and you pulled out earbuds from your pocket, putting them in your ears and turning on music on your phone.

After getting to the first year dorms, you sat at the empty common room and looked at a glass in front of you. "Hey." The water suddenly raised and seemed to look at you. "Do you think I should go back to work study with Fatgum or with someone else?" The water floated out of the glass and splashed into your left palm. "Fatgum it is."

"Who are you talking to?"

You flinched and turned. "Oh, Midoriya. I thought you were-"

"Todoroki-kun?"

You stared for a moment before nodding. "I don't want him to see... that." The water flew back into the glass and you brought your knees to your chest. "Don't tell him."

"I won't." He sat down next to you. "So... what was that?"

"It's kind of my way to talk to myself. I wasn't permitted to back when All For One was controlling me, so anytime I felt like I needed to talk to myself, my quirk would go off in the form of something... living, I guess. Do you think it's weird?"

He shook his head. "Not really. I think it sucks that you weren't even allowed to talk to yourself."

"It's because I'd talk to myself about the League. I wasn't supposed to let others know... Did Aizawa ask you guys to not mention it?"

Midoriya was silent in response.

"I guess that answers it." Your eyes looked glossy, but he could tell that you weren't planning on crying anytime soon. "...Do you think anyone in class hates me?"

"W-What?"

"If you were instructed not to say anything about the League of Villains and my father, then they probably were hiding something personal in them. Maybe you're mad that I ended All Might's career. Maybe Jirou's mad that I got her poisoned. Maybe Yaoyorozu's mad that I gave her that wound on her head. Maybe..." You held your knees closer to you. "Maybe Shouto's mad that I lied to him."

Midoriya tilted his head. "You seem more hurt when you mention anything about Todoroki-kun's opinion on you."

"I... I admit, I care about his opinion a bit more than the opinion of others."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe because he and his father don't get along... although it's not on the same level as my father and I. Maybe I find it easier to connect with someone I somewhat relate to."

Midoriya laughed a bit. "Yeah, it would be easier to connect if you relate. But... we're more reasonable than that, Y/N. We care about you, okay?"

You nodded. "Sure. By the way, you should meet up with Mirio tomorrow. He has something to discuss with you."

"Alright then. Come on, it's late. You should rest."

You nodded again, watching him make his way to his dorm. "What do you think?" The water rose again and seemed to nod. You flicked your wrist and the water lowered. "We'll figure that out then."