Fighting Against Memories

"Cloak, how do you feel about almost being the youngest person to ever get a spot in the Top 10 heroes of Japan?"

"I think it's fine that I didn't make it to the Top 10, seeing as there are plenty of better heroes than me."

"You've been out of commission for a while now!" The reporter pushed the microphone closer to your face. "Is there any reason?"

"At the moment I'm unable to convey a proper performance." You cleared your throat to signal that they needed to move back.

"How do you feel about the popularity you've gotten despite the reveal of your family lineage?"

You swallowed. This was the question you feared. You suddenly really wanted to leave.

"You've stated that your true name is Y/N L/N. Where did 'L/N' come from?"

"No comment..."

"Is your quirk something you were born with or did you get it from your father?"

"I-I was born with it." Your gaze fixated on the ground. They were too invasive. Too blunt. Did they even care that you were a person at all?

Someone behind you cleared their throat. "Please back off the young hero."

"Edgeshot!" Microphones and cameras now turned to him. "Are you proud of your position as the Number 4 hero?"

Fat Gum appeared behind him and tugged at your arm. "Let's get you away from all this press."

You nodded and followed him into the crowd so you could watch the heroes be introduced.

Frankly, you didn't pay much attention. You were there because of your duty to be there, but you didn't actually have any interest in the hero ranking.

"I need to go to the washroom." You told Fatgum.

•••

You washed your hands, seeing little pricks from a needle on your fingers, then burn scars from your wrist and spread across your arm like a disease.

It was difficult being a hero with things like that. Defining features like white hair to link you to your father. Scars to remind people of your past.

If public approval were the only factor, you'd be way further down. In the eyes of the public, you were a hurt child with a dark past. It was pity and you didn't want it.

You walked out of the washroom and turned to your left, frowning in annoyance. "Hawks..."

"Ah, hey there, Fledgling!"

"Don't call me that." You turned right and began walking away.

"Hold on, you can't say hey to your senpai?"

"Don't call yourself that." You kept facing away from him as he tried to get in your face.

"Come on, us youngsters have got to stick together! You are the one who stole my title as the youngest pro hero."

What does this guy not get?

You made an effort to show that you weren't interested in whatever conspiracy or nonsensical attempt at philosophical questions he has. He never takes anything seriously (and not in a Denki Kaminari way) and you sense something suspicious every time you're with him.

You and him met while you were being crowded by fans and he shoved a paper in your face - a picture of himself to be exact - and asked you to sign it as a joke. You did, in fact, sign it, but with the tip of your flaming finger.

And he wouldn't leave you alone.

"So, how's school been?"

"That's none of your business."