Aster

"You alright?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" You stared down at the earring in your hand.

Aizawa couldn't take his eyes off the road but he could sense your solemn expression without even looking at you. You had actually come to like the class you were put in.

A class of oddities, misfits, and everything in between. You couldn't feel like you belonged because each piece wasn't even part of the same puzzle. For once, you didn't feel like a sore thumb, but rather like you were actually unique.

Irreplaceable.

The car stopped and you looked out the window to see the entrance of the airport. You didn't immediately get out, but stared like it was a new house that you were just moving into.

"Hey, you sure you're alright?"

You nodded but still didn't make any effort to get out of the car.

Aizawa walked out and opened the door for you. You hummed and took off your seatbelt before stepping out of the car.

"Sensei," You lowered your headphones from your ears, which were soundless for the whole ride, and hung them around your neck. From your waist up, you bowed, so low that you seemed to nearly fall forward. "Thank you for all the things you've done for me up until now."

"Don't tell me you're about to cry now?"

"Don't be ridiculous." You stood up straight, hiding behind your hair once again. When you saw how little of the world you saw when you did that, you moved the pale strands behind your ear. "I should only be gone for a year. In that time, I will keep tabs on the class in my own way."

"I'm sure." Aizawa held out his hand. "Be careful, kid."

You were about to take his hand but someone bumped you forward and you fell into Aizawa's embrace. But you didn't step back. You shut your eyes and let yourself tune out everything else.

Aizawa was like another father to you. A better one, if you will. What would it be like when he wasn't around for once?

"Are you sure you're not going to start crying?"

"Yes. I am sure."

You stepped back and bowed your head one more time before dragging your luggage towards the airport.

Aizawa watched you for a while and sighed. "Good luck, Y/N." He wasn't used to being away from you either.

He recalled when you'd sit at his feet reading a book you found in the library about whales or some other aquatic sea creatures and insist that you weren't obsessed with them.

When he'd spoon feed you because you never went out of your way to have a meal.

Combing your hair and seeing the hair dye stain the pegs.

Did you even know how to tie your hair on your own? Could you speak enough French to get by? Will you be okay without your favourite cafe to walk to every morning?

Aizawa found himself worrying for you, but he didn't feel guilty for it. Why should he?

But a part of him wondered exactly how much care you were willing to take. Was it as much as he was willing to give?

•••

Who was going to tell me that it takes two freaking hours to get through security, customs, and all that freaking walking?!

You plopped down on a seat near your gate, only a backpack at your disposal.

Despite the many seats around, someone plopped down right next to you, so close you could feel their shoulder.