𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 (𝟏)

She was having a nightmare

She was having a nightmare. The Doctor didn't necessarily know what it was about, but he could feel her across the bond.

His Cassie was terrified. Her fear felt like ice across his veins, and as he hurried through the main room, he swore he could hear her pain-filled whimpers across his mind.

Entering the hallway that led to the bedrooms, a dark oak door appeared before him, his clever machine humming sadly, informing him that this was Cass' room.

He thanked her, quickly entering, surprised to find that the room wasn't as dark as he'd expected. For some reason, he'd thought his tether slept in inky darkness, instead, there was a small nightlight on her bedside table, bathing the room in an amber glow.

He couldn't help but give the space a curious look, chuckling when he noticed the piles of books on the floor, as well as the random equations and scribblings on the blackboard she had placed on her walls, above the small desk where various electrical bits and bobs laid in differing states of dismantling and rebuilding.

It was the room of a creator. The room of a scientist.

Unbeknownst to his tether, his room looked exactly the same, save for the wall of pictures and shelf filled with various trinkets from the planets and places he'd taken her.

Glancing at his poor tether, he found her thrashing violently, low, muffled cries escaping her lips as she fought to escape her twisted blankets, her horror forcing him into movement.

Sliding across from her, he immediately pulled her into his arms, shaking her softly as he called her name, "Cassie, it's alright. You're safe, just wake up, love."

And slowly, her eyes fluttered against his skin, before two twin emerald eyes looked at him in confusion.

"Doc? What happened?"

Her voice was still rough with sleep, raspy and oh, so tempting, but he pushed that to the back of his head, simply pulling her tighter into his hold, and whispering, "you were having a nightmare. A rather awful one by the sound and feel of it."

When she remained confused, shaking her head slightly, he breathed, "you don't remember?"

"Flashes. It was really dark, and...I was in pain, someone was causing me pain..." biting into her lip, she finished, "but it's fading fast, that's all I can gather of it."

The Doctor nodded slowly, leaning down to press a small kiss to her forehead, "well, it's alright now. You're safe and in my arms, and so long as I'm here, no nightmares are allowed to visit, so you can go back to sleep."

A smirk pulled at her lips, before she tilted her head teasingly, "so you're telling me, that you're laying in my bed, while I'm in nothing but a t-shirt and a pair of panties, and you want me to just...go back to sleep?" Noticing his sudden flush of realization, feeling the slight wave of arousal that passed through him, she bit her lip teasingly, before surprising him by throwing one of her legs over his waist, straddling him.