The New Defense Teacher

After Harry and Ron's 'elegant' entrance into Hogwarts, the next day felt a lot more mellow. Sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, Harry and Ron were currently being given the cold shoulder by Hermione, who was still greatly disappointed in their adventure to Hogwarts yesterday. Y/N felt didn't know whether to laugh or to attempt to resolve the problem, but figured that Hermione would forgive them soon enough. 

That 'soon enough' came rather quickly however, as Neville Longbottom was explaining how his Gran was going to send a few things via owl that he had forgotten, the owl's began flooding into the Great Hall, including...

"Errol!" Ron exclaimed as the bird crash landed into Hermione's milk jug, splashing them all with milk and feathers. 

Ron daintily picked up the owl, which was now unconscious as Y/N noticed the red enveloped letter tied to Errol's leg whilst he mopped the milk off his robes.

"Oh no-" gasped Ron.

"It's all right" said Hermione, "He's still alive." 

"No not that- it's that

"Way to care for a family pet, Ron." smirked Y/N.

Ron was now holding the red envelope in his hands, his bottom lip quivering slightly as though he knew what was coming. Y/N desperately suppressed a grin at his friend's misfortune, but was seen by Hermione, who gave him a death stare. 

"She's- she's sent me a howler!" Ron cried out. 

"Better open it, last time I got one from my Gran... it was horrible" piped up Neville. 

Ron did as told, with both Neville and Y/N sticking their fingers in their ears, Y/N had read bout Howlers last year, and knew they were not particularly fun. He was happy David was a muggle. Harry soon realized why they had done so. The ear splitting voice of Mrs. Weasley echoed around the Great Hall. 

"...STEALING THE CAR! I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF THEY EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT UNTIL I GET HOLD OF YOU. I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW THE CAR WAS GONE..."

People's attention was grabbed all around the Great Hall, heads swiveling to see where the shouting was coming from. Draco Malfoy had the biggest smirk on his face as he watched. Y/N silently wished he had the ability to perform silent magic... and that he knew a good curse or two. 

"... LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT. I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME. WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS. YOU AND HARRY COULD HAVE BOTH DIED..."

Y/N had silently been questioning whether or not Harry's name would be brought up, and naturally, Mrs. Weasley seemed to believe that Harry was the golden boy. Y/N liked Mrs. Weasley, even if she wasn't the greatest fan of his, but couldn't help but notice some slight favoritism going on. 

"...ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED. YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN ENQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!"

The envelope went silent, before suddenly bursting into pieces in Ron's face. He sat stunned, some people laughed and went back to what they were doing before. Y/N patted Ron on the back. 

"Could have been worse."

"In what universe could that have been worse?!" shouted Ron. 

"She could have been here in the Great Hall with us." Replied Y/N. 

Even Hermione laughed at that one. Harry burst into a grin with Ron looking sulky for a moment, before inwardly comparing what it would have been like if his mum really had been there, and decided it was better this way.