Making Arrangements

It took two weeks for Hermione to mention the Defence lessons again. Harry's detention with Umbridge were finally over, and Y/N was enthralled by two lessons with Snape which covered the use of fire Elemental magic (in which he had almost burned down the entire classroom due to lack of control) and the use of water Elemental magic (in which he seemed to have surprisingly less control over than fire). 

Ron had had four more Quidditch practices and had not been shouted at for two of them; and all four of them had now managed to vanish their mice, but Hermione and Y/N had moved on to vanishing kittens. The subject was touched on again, on a wild, blustery evening at the end of September, when the four of them were sitting in the library.

"I was wondering," Hermione said suddenly, "whether you'd thought any more about Defense Against the Dark Arts, Harry."

"Course I have," said Harry grumpily. "Can't exactly forget it, can we, with that hag teaching us-"

"No, Harry, she means the idea she had a couple weeks back," said Y/N, glancing up from his book. 

Harry didn't answer immediately. He pretended to be pursuing a page in his own book before he answered.

It was a tough situation, Y/N could see. It seemed like a thoroughly insane idea initially, but then the more he thought about it, the more it made sense. 

"Well," said Harry slowly, "yeah, I - I've thought about it a bit."

"And?" said Hermione eagerly. 

"I dunno," said Harry, playing for time as he looked to Ron. 

"I thought it was a good idea from the start," he said, who seemed eager top join in the conversation now he was sure Harry wouldn't start shouting again. 

Harry shifted in his chair.

"You all listened about what I said with it being all luck?"

"OF course we did," said Y/N gently. "But at the same time, you can't deny that you're good at it. You threw off an Imperius Curse immediately last year, you can produce a Patronus-"

"Viktor said Harry could do things he couldn't, and he was in his final year pod Durmstrang last year," Hermione said, trying to persuade Harry over the line. 

"Well?" she asked again after a moment of ignoring Ron's scowl at the mention of Viktor Krum. "Will you do it?"

"Just the three of you, right?"

Y/N and Hermione exchanged a knowing look. 

"Well... don't fly off the handle again, Harry, please... But I really think you ought to teach anyone who is willing to learn. I mean, we're talking about defending ourselves from V-Voldemort- oh don't be pathetic, Ron- it doesn't seem fair if we don't offer the chance to other people."

"Though I'm not sure how many will actually show up when they realise the both of us are there," Y/N shrugged and leaned on his hand against the table. 

"Well, I think you'd both be surprised at the amount of people who would be interested in what you've both got to say about this," said Hermione seriously. "Look, you know the first weekend in October is a Hogsmeade weekend? How would it be if we tell anyone who's interested to meet us in the village and we can talk it over?"

"Why outside of school?" Ron asked. 

"Imagine Umbridge's reaction if she finds out what we're doing," Y/N said, his mind trailing back to Lauren. "Absolutely not, it wouldn't be safe... for any of us." 

* * * 

Much to Y/N's concern, Sirius had not reappeared in the Gryffindor fire even after saying he would reach out again. He discussed his worries with Harry, Ron and Hermione one evening.