The Yule Ball

"Lynx! Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?"

Professor McGonagall's irritated voice cracked like a whip through the Transfiguration class on Thursday, and the three boys jumped and looked up.

It was the end of the lesson; they had finished their work, Y/N finished quicker than Hermione to no one's surprise. His guinea fowl had successfully been transfigured into a guinea pig and had been shut inside a large cage on Professor McGonagall's desk (Neville's still had feathers); they had copied down their homework from the blackboard, and the bell was due to ring any moment. Y/N and Ron had been conducting a sword fight with a couple of Fred and George's fake wands, and Harry had become the referee. They looked up, Ron was holding a tin parrot and Y/N a rubber chicken.

"Now that Lynx and Weasley have been kind enough to act their own age," said Professor McGonagall, an angry look on her face as Harry looked very smug for getting away with it. "I have something to say to you all." She sounded very serious, Y/N dropped the rubber chicken and turned his attention to her.

"The Yule Ball is approaching. It is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to Forth-Years and above, although you may invite a younger student if you wish-"

Lavender Brown let out a shrill giggle. Pavarti Patil nudged her hard in the ribs, her face working furiously as she too fought not to giggle. They both looked at Harry, Y/N rolled his eyes. Harry was about to be hounded by girls to go to the Yule Ball with them, who wouldn't want to go to the dance with 'The Chosen One?'

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then-"

She stared deliberately around the classroom at each individual student.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to, er, let our hair down," she said in a disapproving voice.

Lavender giggled harder than ever, with her hand pressed against her mouth to stifle it. Though this time, Y/N saw the funny aspect. The idea of Professor McGonagall with her hair down was more likely than Hermione going on a date with Draco Malfoy, purely impossible.

"But that does NOT mean," she continued sternly, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way." She looked pointedly at Y/N, as though he was a ticking time bomb. He grinned back at her.

The bell rang, and there was a scuffle as everyone packed their bags and swung them over their shoulders.

Professor McGonagall called out above the noise, "Potter, a word if you please."

Harry turned around gloomily as the rest of the group left the class for their next lesson.

· * * *

Over the last three and a half years that Y/N had been attending Hogwarts, he had: assisted in stopping a plot to use the Philosopher's Stone to bring back Voldemort, fought a Basilisk, found out who his true parents were, and realised that he had an Elemental sealed inside him. If you'd had told him however, that the thing that his friends were stressed about the most was finding a date for the ball, he'd had told you that you were mad.

Y/N had never seen so many names written down to stay at Christmas. The only time he had ever gone back to the Orphanage for Christmas was in his First-Year, the other two times he had been... preoccupied.

This year, everyone in Fourth-year and above seemed to be staying, and they all seemed obsessed with the Yule Ball. At least, the girls were.

"Why do they have to move in packs?" Harry grumbled to Ron and Y/N as they passed a dozen girls, sniggering and staring at him, "How're you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?"