The Second Wizarding War

Even when looking back years later, Y/N found he only had a few memories of the days following Caym's extraction and the return of Voldemort. It was as though his mind had mentally blocked the aftermath of that evening.

He had remaining in the Hospital Wing for several days after the return. Lauren was there by his side whenever she could. She had told him of the stories that had floated around since the event, yet Y/N felt nothing towards anymore rumours about him.

He felt nothing.

He returned to Gryffindor Tower a couple of days after Harry. Those few days of peace had done a lot less for him than he thought they would have. From what Lauren had told him, Dumbledore had addressed the entire school earlier that morning. He had requested that everyone leave both Harry and himself alone, and that nobody question either of them about what happened that evening.

Most people, he noticed, were abiding by this, and were skidding away from him in corridors. Though he couldn't tell whether or not this was out of fear still after the Rita Skeeter article, or if people were just listening to Dumbledore. Perhaps they were formulating their own theories about what that thing had been that Fudge had taken out of him. Y/N found he didn't care much. Though, he found he couldn't find the motivation to care about anything anymore.

The best moments were when he was alone with the rest of the quartet, and they could discuss other things, either that or peacefully sitting in silence as he read a new book that Madam Pince had given him.

Elemental Magic: The Foundation of Creation.

Not for lack of trying, but Elemental Magic turned out to be dutifully difficult. He had found, one evening when he snuck into a spare classroom, that his Sol Ruptis Spell was far less powerful. It was more reminiscent of a beginner's Incendio. Any other attempts Elemental Magic, be that of Water, or Wind, produced nothing but tiny streams of water, or a slight breeze.

He wouldn't dare attempt any Elemental Magic that referred to Lightning.

Seeing as though they now no longer had a Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher for the fourth year running, they had those lessons free. The quartet used the one on Thursday afternoon to go and visit Hagrid in his hut. It was a bright, sunny day; Fang bounded out of the door as they approached, wagging his tail wildly.

"Who's that?" called Hagrid, coming to the door. "You four!"

He strode out to meet them, "good ter see yeh, good ter see yeh."

They saw two bucket-size cups and saucers on the wooden table in front of the fireplace as they entered.

"Bin havin' a cuppa with Olympe," said Hagrid. "She's jus' left."

"Who?" asked Ron curiously.

"Madame Maxine, o' course!" said Hagrid.

"You two have made up, have you?" asked Ron.

"Dunno what yeh're talkin' about," said Hagrid airily, fetching more cups from the cupboard. When he had made tea and offered a plate of cookies, he leaned back in his chair and surveyed both Harry and Y/N through his black eyes.

"You two all righ?" he asked gruffly.

"Yeah," said Harry.

Y/N nodded slowly, he said nothing.

"No, stupid question. Neither of yeh are," said Hagrid. "Course yeh're not, but yeh will be."

Neither of them said anything.

"Knew he was goin' ter come back," said Hagrid, and the four of them looked back at him, shocked. "Known it fer years. Knew he was out there, bidin' his time. It had ter happen. Well, now it has, an' we'll jus' have ter get on with it. We'll fight. Might be able ter stop him before he gets a good hold. That's Dumbledore's plan anyway. Great man, Dumbledore. 'S long as we got him, I'm not worried."