Farewell, Old Friend

"Dumbledore reckons You-Know-Who's getting stronger as well?" Ron whispered. 

For the last hour, Harry had relayed what he had seen and heard in Dumbledore's office. He explained the pensive, Dumbledore's memories and the trials that he had witnessed. They sat up late in the Common Room talking it all over. Y/N thought the high level of trust Dumbledore had in Snape to be peculiar. 

"He trusts Snape?" Y/N asked. "He seriously trusted him, even though he knew he was a Death Eater?" 

"Yes," said Harry. 

Hermione had not spoken for ten minutes. She was sat with her forehead in her hands, staring at her knees. 

"Rita Skeeter," she muttered finally. 

"How can you be worrying about her now?" asked Ron, in utter disbelief. 

"I'm not worrying about her." Hermione said to her knees. "I'm just thinking... remember what she said to me in the Three Broomsticks? 'I know things about Ludo Bagman that would make your hair curl.' This is what she meant, isn't it? She reported his trial, she knew he passed information to the Death Eaters. And Winky too, remember... 'Ludo Bagman is a bad wizard.' Mr. Crouch would have been furious he got off, he would have talked about it at home."

"Yeah, but Bagman didn't pass information on purpose, did he?"

Hermione shrugged. 

"And somehow, Fudge thinks it was Madame Maxine that attacked Crouch?" Y/N questioned, staring into the fire. 

"Yeah." said Harry, "but he's only saying that because Crouch disappeared near the Beauxbatons carriage." 

"We never thought of her, did we?" asked Ron slowly. "Mind you, she's definitely got giant blood, and she doesn't want to admit it-" 

"Of course she doesn't," said Hermione sharply, looking up. "Look what happened to Hagrid when Rita found out about his mother. Look at Fudge, jumping to conclusions as per usual," - she glanced at Y/N.

Hermione then looked at her watch. "We haven't done any practicing! We were going to do the Impediment Curse! We'll have to really get down to it tomorrow, come on Harry, you need sleep." 

Y/N, Harry and Ron went upstairs slowly to their dormitory. As Y/N pulled on something to sleep in, he looked over at Harry's bed. The curtains were already drawn. As he settled down in his bed for the evening, he imagined how it must feel to be in Harry's position. He often got sympathy, more so than ever after Rita Skeeter's article about him, but Harry's situation was different. Not only did he have to worry about Voldemort and his potential rise to power, but he also currently had to focus on surviving the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Y/N felt a rush of anger through his bones as he considered everything that had gone on over the previous years at Hogwarts, and just how unfair it had been for all of them... and just how much he despised Cornelius Fudge

 * * * 

Really, Ron, Y/N and Hermione should have been studying for their exams instead of helping Harry prepare, especially considering their exams finished on the same day as the final task.

"Don't worry about it," Hermione said shortly when Harry pointed this out to them.

"I mean, we'll all get top marks in Defence Against the Dark Arts with the number of spells we've learnt to help you throughout the year." Y/N said as he froze a wasp with the Impediment Curse, making it stop dead in midair.