The Quidditch Final

"When were you going to respond to my last letter, Moony?" Y/N asked, a slight hint of ice in his tone. 

Professor Lupin paled and looked how he did when he returned to teach after one of his monthly 'ill' spells. 

"The map, the silence, the job... the lie to Lauren. Everything fits, so why didn't you just come forward and tell me it was you?" Y/N stared into Lupin's eyes and he looked away hastily. 

"The amount of times that I've read all of your letters, trying to understand who you were and why you were doing this... And in the end, I realised it wasn't because you 'felt like you owed something to my parents', as you put it two years ago,  it was because you felt sorry for the orphan who was left with nothing because of the actions of those who couldn't care less about him. The father, who left him with nothing and got himself shipped to Azkaban because he had nothing to lose and everything to gain, the man with power, who left him with a curse for the rest of his life... and the man who felt sorry for the boy. That would be you, Moony."

Professor Lupin was lost for words, he braced himself against his desk and let out a loud sigh, "You know?"

"Of course I know! Why did everyone assume that they could just hide this from me? Attempt to manipulate the ones I care about the most? The girl who  is the sister I never had believes that her father is someone who's long dead, but even that was a lie to get me to react. Because Fudge thinks I'm in leagues with Black and I am fed up of being treated like some kind of experiment! I am thirteen-years-old, and I couldn't give a damn about what anyone else thinks about me, or what they want to try and control, because at the end of the day, Caym is bonded to me, and to me alone. And neither of us can take it anymore."

"Y/N-"

"I'm not finished" Y/N muttered, finally letting out his true feelings, "You can shove your pity right where it doesn't belong, because I certainly don't need it. Moony's letters once gave me hope, and now I realise that the hope they gave was nothing more than one man feeling sorry for himself because his friend turned into a killer."

"I-" Lupin turned around to face him.

But Y/N was already gone. 

* * * 

The hits just kept on coming for Y/N. After snapping at Professor Lupin, Hermione had told him that Hagrid had lost the Buckbeak's trial, and that the Hippogriff was as good as dead. Y/N felt a pang of guilt smack him hard. He had been so focused on everything else that he had completely forgotten about Buckbeak's trial, and how he had promised Hagrid that he would help. 

With this sad news accompanied some slightly better news. Ron and Hermione had apologised to each other after they had also found out about Buckbeak's sentence, so for the time being, things were going back to normal.

The only time that the Quartet could speak to Hagrid was in Care of Magical Creature lessons, and the four of them stayed behind to comfort him.

"S' all my fault. I got tongue-tied. They were all sittin' there in black robes, an' I kept droppin' my notes and forgettin' all the dates you looked up for me Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood u and said his bit... Buckbeak was as good as gone by that point."

"There's still the appeal!" said Ron fiercely, "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

"An appeal means nothing when the committee is bought out by the man trying to prosecute." stated Y/N, a hint of sadness in his tone. Hermione gave him a quizzical look, usually Y/N would state fact without any emotion, and for once, Y/N looked as though this fact was hurting him. 

Hagrid had turned and hurried back towards his hut, his face buried in his hankerchief.

"Look at him blubber!"