Momento Mori

"He's not... He can't..."

Y/N felt himself sag into Lupin's arms. Drained, both physically and emotionally. He did not want to believe it... Sirius, his dad, couldn't just be... dead. 

There was movement going on around them, pointless bustling, the flashes of more spells. To Y/N, it was meaningless noise, the deflected curses flying past them did not matter, nothing mattered except for the slow, boiling anger that was progressing to a point of no return as he thought about the actions that lead to the consequences.

Lupin dragged Y/N away from the dais,  still staring at the archway, as if silently begging for Sirius to walk back through it.

But some part of him realised  that Sirius had never kept him waiting before. . . . Sirius had risked everything, always, to see Y/N, to help him. . . . If Sirius was not reappearing out of that archway when he had shouted for him as though his life depended on it, the only possible explanation was that he could not come back. . . . That he really was . . .

As a flash of red light soared over himself and Lupin, it was only now that Y/N realised that Dumbledore was there. He had most of the remaining Death Eaters grouped in the middle of the room, seemingly being restrained by invisible ropes. Mad-Eye Moody had crawled across the room to where Tonks was and was attempting to revive her. Behind the dais there were more flashes and grunts. Kingsley Shacklebolt had continued where Sirius had left off- fighting Bellatrix.

It was at this point in which Y/N heard a rather loud shout. He wasn't sure how long it had been going on for, as his thoughts were only just catching up with him, but he recognised that shouting anywhere. Harry was bellowing for Sirius... He had seen it all.

Neville approached Y/N and Lupin, who still held onto Y/N's arms tightly, his face was pale. "Y/N... I'b really sorry..." he said, his voice still difficult to understand. 

Y/N said nothing, Y/N did nothing, he remained slumped in Lupin's arms, who was holding him up the best he could. Lupin tried to regroup and screw his own head back on straight, "Where are the others, Neville?"

Lupin turned away from the arch as he spoke, it sounded like every word was causing him pain. 

"Dey're all back there," said Neville. "A brain addacked Ron but I dink he's all righd- Herbione is unconscious bud we could feel a bulse-"

There was a loud band and a yell from behind the dais. Y/N saw Kingsley, yelling in pain, hit the ground. Bellatrix turned and ran as Dumbledore whipped around. He aimed a spell at her but she deflected it. She was halfway up the steps now-

"Y/N- NO!" cried Lupin, but Y/N had ripped his arm from Lupin's weakening grip. 

"CAYM!" roared Y/N, his voice sounding like it was being strangled by two different contortionists. "STOP HER!"

Y/N was running, people were shouting behind him to try and stop him, but he didn't care. The hem of Bellatrix's robes whipped out of sight ahead, swiftly followed by a streak of blitzing, roaring, unadulteratedly furious lightning. As Y/N turned the corner, Bellatrix was launching curse after curse at the wolf, who either dodged them, or smacked them away like they were nothing more than wads of paper being thrown at him. 

Caym roared, but stepped down when he saw the look on Y/N's face. Pure murderous intent was the only look that you could see when you gazed upon the white haired teenager. Caym stepped to the side, almost as if he was giving Bellatrix to him as a gift. 

She was faster than she looked, however, as she cursed the tank behind him and threw it to the ground. It was full of poison, and the brains slid out and tried to get towards him. Y/N incinerated them with a quick gaze away from his target, but by the time he had turned back, Bellatrix was gone again.