The Potion Master's Challenge

Dinner in the Great Hall that evening was not a pleasant experience. The news about Harry's shouting match with Umbridge seemed to have travelled exponentially quickly even by Hogwarts standards. They heard whispers all around them as they ate. The funny thing was that none of the whsipers seemed to care about them overhearing them. On the contrary, it was as though they were hoping Harry would get angry and shout  again, so they could hear the story firsthand.

"He says he saw Cedric Diggory murdered..." 

"He reckons he dulled with You-Know-Know..." 

"He's convinced there's an Elemental roaming the grounds..." 

"Who does he think he's kidding?" 

"What I don't get," said Harry, his voice shaking as he lay down his knife and fork, "is why they all believed the stories two months ago when Dumbledore told them..." 

"That's the problem," said Y/N, swallowing his last bit of food, "I don't think they ever believed us at all... come on, lets get out of here." 

He put his knife and fork down; Ron looked sadly at his half finished apple pie but followed suit. Hermione looked grateful for the excuse to leave. People started at them on the way out of the Hall. 

"What d'you mean?" Harry asked Y/N when they reached the first floor landing. 

"Look, things were going mad when you reappeared with Cedric's body," Y/N whispered. "I was collapsed on the ground, Caym was stood over me, and Fudge was howling for Ministry officials to catch him. None of us witnessed what went on in the maze... Everyone just had Dumbledore's word for it that You-Know-Who was back and killed Cedric.... Everyone saw Caym, everyone knows how terrifying he looks when he's not bonded to me." 

"But... it's the truth!" said Harry loudly. 

"We know it's the truth if you would stop shouting any us any chance you get?" Y/N said tiredly. "Before anyone could even register what had gone on, everyone went home, where they spent the next two months reading the Daily Prophet about us and Dumbledore. It's only natural." 

Rain pounded on the windowpanes as they strode along empty corridors back to Gryffindor Tower. Just one day felt like a week, but they had mountains of homework to do before bed. Glancing out of the window, Y/N could still see no light illuminating from Hagrid's hut. 

"Mimbulus mimbletonia," said Hermione, before the Fat Lady could ask for the password. The portrait swung open to reveal the hole behind and the four of them scrambled back through it. 

The Common Room was almost empty; nearly everyone was still down ate dinner. Crookshanks uncoiled himself from an armchair and trotted over to greet them, purring loudly. When the four of them sat down at the fireside, Crookshaks leapt into Hermione's lap and curled there like a ginger cushion. Y/N stared at the fire, tired and stressed. 

"How can Dumbledore have let this happen?" Hermione cried out suddenly, making them jump; Crookshanks leapt off her, looking offended. She pounded the arms of the chair in fury, and bits of stuffing popped out of the holes. "How can he let that terrible woman teach us? And in our O.W.L year too!" 

"Well, we've never had great Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers, have we?" said Harry. "You know what it's like, Hagrid told us, the job is jinxed." 

"Yes, but to employ someone who actually refuses to let us do magic! What is Dumbledore playing at?" 

"She's attempting to get spies too," Y/N said. "Remember when she said she wanted us to report to her if we hear anyone talking about Voldemort?"