Unbreakable Backlash

A/N - Rest in peace, Michael Gambon.

* * *

Luna said vaguely that she did not know how soon Rita's interview with Harry and Y/N would appear in The Quibbler, that her father was expecting a lovely long article on recent sightings of Crumple-Horned Snorkacks. "And, of course, that'll be a very important story, so they might have to wait for the following issue," said Luna.

Y/N had found it surprisingly difficult to talk about his perspective on his feud with Fudge. Rita had of course, gunned for every spec of detail, and he had given everything he could, knowing that this was his one big opportunity to stick it to the Minister of Magic. He wondered how people would react to it all. Not to mention Harry's interview going in the same edition, they were likely to cause quite the controversy.

He had, naturally, kept the fact that Caym was back by his side a complete secret during the interview, though he now knew that he was walking on glass around Dolores Umbridge. As soon as that interview released to the public...

He shoved the thought to the back of his mind, sat at dinner on Monday night, he spoke to Dean, and Neville alongside Harry and Hermione- Seamus sat at the side, but Y/N knew he was listening.

"Can't wait to see what Umbridge thinks of you both going public," said Dean, sounding awestruck at dinner on Monday night.

"It's the right thing to do," said Neville, He was rather pale, but went on in a low voice, "It must have been . . . tough . . . talking about it. . . . Was it?" He directed this question at Harry.

"Yeah," mumbled Harry, "but people have got to know what Voldemort's capable of, haven't they?"

"That's right," said Neville, nodding, "and his Death Eaters too . . . People should know. . . ."

"I'm impressed by you too, Y/N," Neville continued. "I wouldn't have the cauldron cakes to call out the Minister of-"

Neville was cut off by a sharp kick to the shins from Hermione under the table, silencing him almost immediately.

Neville, struck in pain, fell silent and returned to his baked potato. Seamus looked up, but when he caught Harry's eye he looked quickly at Y/N, who glared at him, and then at his plate again. After a while Dean, Seamus, and Neville departed for the common room, leaving Harry, Y/N and Hermione at the table waiting for Ron, who had not yet had dinner because of private Quidditch Quidditch practice with Angelina.

Cho Chang walked into the hall with her friend Marietta, but she did not look over at the Gryffindor table and sat down with her back to him.

"Oh, I forgot to ask you," said Hermione brightly, glancing over at the Ravenclaw table, "what happened on your date with Cho? How come you were back so early?"

Y/N snorted, Harry shoved him slightly.

"Er . . . well, it was . . ." said Harry, pulling a dish of rhubarb crumble toward him and helping himself to seconds, "a complete fiasco, now you mention it."

And he told her what had happened in Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop.

". . . so then," he finished several minutes later, as the final bit of crumble disappeared, "she jumps up, right, and says 'I'll see you around, Harry,' and runs out of the place!" He put down his spoon and looked at Hermione. "I mean, what was all that about? What was going on?"

Hermione glanced over at the back of Cho's head and sighed. "Oh, Harry," she said sadly. "Well, I'm sorry, but you were a bit tactless."

"Me, tactless?" said Harry, outraged. "One minute we were getting on fine, next minute she was telling me that Roger Davies asked her out, and how she used to go and snog Cedric in that stupid tea shop — how was I supposed to feel about that?"