chapter one

wooyoung believed being a homebody was his fate from the get-go

he was currently lying down on his couch in a questionable position, flexing his triple chins in the process of watching whatever tv show was airing at 7pm.

yeah, this was the beauty of life, he thought to his lazy self. in his opinion, sleeping, eating, forcing yourself into awkward social situations for name's sake, following the same daily routine you adapted at the age of 18 and questioning nothing was all there was to life. yet, people like to yap about the beauties of life like they aren't living the same day, over and over and over and over again. clearly, if his body were a temple then the architect must have been quite the drunk pessimist.

watching tv was one of few things that truly brought him joy. for a fleeting moment, he could swallow that content and believe life was actually all love and butterflies and romance and cheese and luck. for someone who was void of any emotions for the most part, the expressions on the faces of people on screen made his heart feel some way- when they smiled, cried, laughed, whatever. he didn't know why that was, though. maybe he was an empathetic pessimist?

and that's why wooyoung subconsciously took his shows seriously, just like everything else that swept him away from reality even for a moment. these things were all he had to keep him sane besides dance, after all. they were literally all that held him down from letting himself go and spiralling out of control.

the one running on tv right now was some cliche about a ceo and his assistant. the "damsel in distress lady that falls for her unrealistically rich, cold hearted boss who also somehow has the entire government wrapped around his finger" trope was as old as time. and because it was so overused, making something good of it was hard, and whatever show or film managed to dodge that obstacle truly did deserve to be praised.

the drama had an actress that wooyoung was actually a fan of, so that was an upside. it was also the most popular tv drama at the moment, for obvious reasons- people love cliche, and people absolutely love choi san.

there he was on the big screen, black hair slicked back, sporting a suit and tie and all. he tossed his blazer aside onto a chair, pointing his chin up in an attempt to nonchalantly seduce the female lead, probably to achieve that sexy kind of look that the audience would fall head over heels for, having them squealing and biting their nails and blushing and all that shit. wooyoung was almost sure that in a few hours his tiktok page would be filled with edits of choi san in that very scene, made by thirsty and naive fans.

but wooyoung hated choi san.

he scoffed at the tv screen, crossing his arms. if it were any other actor, maybe park seonghwa, they would've pulled this scene off effortlessly. but san ruined it. watching that entire thing left a bitter taste in wooyoung's throat. the urge to change the channel was astronomical, but he couldn't- only because there was nothing on air that was worth while, that is. he decided to put up with choi san in all his disgrace instead of letting boredom and the art of doing nothing completely engulf him.

if anybody asked wooyoung why he hated choi san, the answer was simple; he just did.

there was no exact reason, it's just ever since the beginning of his acting career three years ago, wooyoung hated him. he took pride in the fact that he disliked him since the day of his debut. if there were a reason, though; it would be too ambiguous to satisfy any unanswered questions. maybe it was because he didn't like his acting, which was true. he could never pull the simplest scenes off.

maybe it was because he had it too easy? unlike any rising celebrity, choi san's career took off and he turned his life around on his very first day in the industry- it was a hundred percent his looks that were to be blamed. besides that, he was an empty can. no potential, no ambition, no willpower. without a face, choi san was a nobody.

whatever the reason, choi san was just annoying. even if he were a nobody and wooyoung ran into him in the streets, wooyoung would definitely avoid him and walk the other way. it's just because he had that obnoxious energy. wooyoung didn't need to know him on a personal level to conclude that he was annoying. the moral side of the world would tell wooyoung that he was being problematic or spreading unnecessary hate, but wooyoung believed he was very justified.

and spreading hate? nobody knew exactly how much wooyoung wanted to spam choi san's social media accounts with hate after hate after hate. but he wouldn't do that. why? because he was nice. he kept his hatred for choi san to himself, sometimes letting out his thoughts when people spoke good of choi san in front of him.

it was whatever, though. it wasn't that deep, but it was. wooyoung hated how san always showed up in dramas and movies and ruined his mood. he was just bad luck.

back on the screen, choi san smiled at his female costar, dimples and scrunched eyes and all. wooyoung sighed at the sight, turning around to face the couch's headrest so he wouldn't have to look at that unlucky face again.

choi san, i hope you and your career sink.