chapter thirty seven

wooyoung really wanted to have a serious talk with whoever was handling his fate

choi san kicked himself off of the wall he had been leaning against, finally facing wooyoung with his arms still crossed. after the rush of recognition that made his heart drop, wooyoung felt nothing but annoyance. he shoved his hands in his pockets. this was bound to happen anyway. not like he could have avoided san forever, but was this really the time?

san sighed. "where have you been?" he inquired. his tone was initially angry, but he seemed to have cooled off almost instantly. 

"what's it to you?" wooyoung replied, glaring at him. "it's really none of your business."

"are you really gonna be like that?" san snapped back. "i was starting to get worried. it's been a week since i saw you and i thought something bad had happened. yet here you are, enjoying your life after literally walking out on me without saying a word." 

wooyoung clicked his tongue, irked off. did this guy think he was a child or something? "don't be stupid, dude. i'm a man and i can take care of myself just fine so don't worry. do i look like a child to you?" he hissed. there was nothing he hated more than being treated like a dimwit that was incapable of doing anything. it made him itch all over. 

"yeah, yeah, i heard everything. you took on five guys on your own back in school, great. you're a macho tough guy," san responded hastily. "but does being a man mean you're invincible or immortal? what else am i supposed to think if you fucking vanish off the face of the earth like that?" 

seriously? he was listening in on their conversation, too? wooyoung scoffed. it was beyond him how san managed to grasp anything when literally everybody at the table was talking over each other. "man, you're so dense. even if something happens to me, it's not your business. i have friends and family that can take care of me, so just back off, will you?"

san let out a heavy breath and wooyoung could tell that he too was starting to get frustrated. why couldn't he just stop there and leave, since that's what wooyoung wanted to do as well? or was he the type to go all in even when it came to petty arguments? 

"you know, you've been doing that since earlier. you keep calling me 'man', 'bro', 'dude', and shit. what's that all about?" 

where was this conversation even headed? wooyoung rolled his eyes. "what, am i not allowed to do that, between us guys? or are you the type to get worked up over stupid things?"

san only laughed in amusement. "really. so you just walk around kissing your bros and it's not just me? good to know."

did he really have to mention that? wooyoung groaned. "if you're done here, i'm leaving." he muttered. he had been trying to pretend that night had never happened yet san had to be a shameless dickhead. wooyoung dried his hands with the tissue he had been holding.

from next to him, san took his mask and hat off and placed it down on the vanity. he looked at wooyoung with exhausted eyes. "look, i'm sorry if i came on too strong. i was just worried." he explained with a lowered tone. "so will you just come back to the apartment? i just feel kinda guilty about it. i won't bother you if that's what you really want."

wooyoung stared at him for a moment. was this all just an act or was wooyoung projecting his own immaturity onto him? he ran a hand through his hair, giving up on arguing further. "look, it's not because of you. i just decided to stay with a couple of friends until my ankle gets better." and that was a lie. it was because of him. it was still half-true, since yeosang only let him stay until his ankle was healed. 

san rubbed his neck. "ah. and i thought you were running away from me." he confessed and wooyoung pursed his lips. 

"by the way, i've been meaning to ask..." san continued, furrowing his eyebrows in curiosity. "who's the girl? is she your girlfriend?"

what was he rambling on about now? "girlfriend? who? you mean the one that was sitting next to me?" 

san smirked almost as if he was relieved. "seeing how you responded... i have my answer. well, i'll leave you to get back to your friends," he said cheerfully while putting on his mask and cap. "oh. and let her know next time that it's rude to be so touchy with someone of the opposite gender that you're just friends with. and in public, too?" he shook his head and walked away.

wooyoung confusedly stared at his back as he left. what was this dude's problem? was he always so nosy and incapable of minding his own business? wooyoung gripped the edge of the vanity tightly, cursing to himself. san clearly didn't believe the ankle excuse. after all, he was walking around just fine with his injury so how was leaving his apartment behind to stay with a friend a believable reason? not like he needed his friends to take care of him while he recovered either, and san knew that. 

should he just return to the apartments? then again, it was too soon. could he just keep pretending like nothing happened? san did say he would stop bothering him if wooyoung wanted things to be that way, but wooyoung didn't think that would fix things. their relationship would become even more awkward and that would be way harder to tolerate than whatever was going on right now. 

as much as he hated to admit it, choi san had a point. dropping off the face of the earth didn't really solve things, it just pushed them off temporarily. that meant he was extending an issue that could've already ended if he acted on it instead of running away. there was only one way to put an end to this and wooyoung wanted to do it as soon as he could. 

wooyoung let out a deep breath. with confidence and assertiveness that seemed to appear out of thin air, he made his way out of the washroom and approached his table. amidst the crowd of chattering people, he locked eyes with choi san who had already been looking at him and wooyoung gestured towards the exit. san blinked curiously. it took a moment, but he caught on. san patted the shoulder of the man next to him so as to make him aware of his departure and wooyoung shoved his hands into his pockets, heading out before san could. 

he stood with his arms crossed outside the restaurant and san quickly followed, running out the door and looking at wooyoung hopefully. 

"let's talk this out," wooyoung declared.