chapter eight

various shades of strange colors on every wall, spiritual artefacts of gold and bronze on elevated surfaces, the sound of brass bells ringing in a very traditional setting

wooyoung had gone to see a shaman.

this was the same thing he'd ridiculed yeosang for, all these years- wooyoung publicly expressed his thought of self proclaimed shamans or witch doctors to be pure scammers, but here he was, sitting across a shaman, legs crossed on the ground, a little wooden table between them. in his defense, he couldn't bother to meet a regular psychologist; not like he was free all day. maybe he just needed someone to talk to about trivial things once in a while to let go of everything he was bottling up inside.

it was just another one of wooyoung's big little secrets- how embarrassing would it be for wooyoung if yeosang found out he was doing the same thing he derided him for? he'd only been up to this for a little less than a year, though. wooyoung found that ambiguous words of spiritual guidance lifted a weight off him, maybe because they never gave him a clear cut solution to things.

and this particular shaman had become more of his venting buddy rather than an advisor, no matter how much he complained about wooyoung visiting so often and interfering with his business.

wooyoung stared with his mouth open in disbelief as the shaman mumbled random words to himself with his eyes closed, completely ignoring wooyoung's presence. he waved his hand in front of his eagerly. "hello?! i'm right here??"

"shh, i'm praying, definitely not trying to finish our time quota for this session..." he mumbled the last part under his breath, earning a deadpan from wooyoung.

"anyways," wooyoung moved on, "i feel like... i don't know. i'm just so tired these days."

"then sleep."

"do i look stupid?!" wooyoung scoffed, clicking his tongue. "i meant i feel more sluggish than usual. like, i'm putting too much effort into this 'life' thing and i despise it. oh, but i did manage to get more than 4 hours of sleep twice in a row. that's improvement, right? i even overslept last night."

"have you been taking the pills i gave you last time?" the shrink referred to the sleeping pills he'd retrieved just to give to wooyoung out of pity, and wooyoung nodded. "that's probably why... but i'm pretty sure sleeping pills won't help you jump from 4 hours of sleep to more than 8 in just a few weeks. " he leaned forward, staring into wooyoung's puzzled eyes. "have you met someone?"

"what? you mean like romantically? no, ew! i don't have the time for that, i'm busy." wooyoung defended, face scrunching up in disgust. it was true, though. wooyoung never thought about dating, not even when he was in his teenages. surprisingly, he was the popular guy who'd also never had a girlfriend.

"i see. what about your sex life?"

"jesus christ-no!" he confuted enthusiastically, "what are you even getting at here?"

the shrink leaned back, crossing his arms, eyes still suspiciously locked into wooyoung's before gradually closing them. "i see someone..." he began to speak, and wooyoung leaned in curiously. "in your present and future, i see someone."

"who?" wooyoung pushed. from what he knew, there was absolutely nobody in his life that was worth getting in his way and making things difficult for him besides yeosang.

"the both of you are from two different worlds, but you've found each other. this isn't good," he clicked his tongue, unsatisfied. "this will only bring you trouble. i see mountains of obstacles and hardship in the time ahead..so much emptiness.. so many blind alleys.."

wooyoung knitted his eyebrows. who was this unidentifiable person that was going to be responsible for their detrimental impact on wooyoung's future? he had had the same friendship circle since he turned 20, and he didn't bother to meet new faces ever since because he was content with what he had. who was this new character that even wooyoung himself didn't have a clue about?

he crossed his arms, deep in thought. mr. park did mention something about the two of them being from two different worlds and a whole lot of trouble... he introspected hard and keenly, rummaging through the handful of faces worth noting in his life until he landed upon one. could it be.. no way. no way.

choi san?

it seemed like a stretch, but he was the only new face in wooyoung's present. he was also the only one who fit the description of being from two different worlds- san was a celebrity, married to the spotlight and wooyoung was a choreographer who was satisfied with just blending into the crowd; one who tried his best not to stand out. wooyoung let out a laugh of disbelief. he checked two boxes on the list, but there was no way choi san could have such a negative impact on wooyoung's life. he wasn't even all that special.

he shuffled forward. "so what do i need to do to keep that from happening? would a paper talisman do it or?"

mr. park shook his head enthusiastically. "no, paper talismans won't help you out you dumba- ehm." he cleared his throat, "you need to drive the bad influence out on your own."

"how do i do that?"

"how am i supposed to know??" he exclaimed all of a sudden, and wooyoung flinched. "i said on your own. which means," he proceeded, taking a deep breath. "you need to figure it out. with your own brain."

wooyoung was annoyed. was it really that hard to steer clear of san's way? he didn't want to put in the effort and drive him away, because that would take too much time and energy. not to mention, wooyoung wasn't so petty as to dedicate a small part of his life to such trivial matters.

he dropped his face in his hands. why did he feel so uneasy all of a sudden?

choi san was really a problem on his own.