chapter fifty two

wooyoung plopped down on the floor of the studio, watching passively as the other boys trained

san had already headed out for work when wooyoung woke up. the arrangement made wooyoung feel awkward initially, but the comfort of san's bed was like a lullaby that sung him to the most peaceful, deep sleep he'd ever had in ages. though it meant he should be energized and at his best, wooyoung felt drained. his mind kept going back to san's words over and over again for some reason. he was going to leave anyway. he was going to leave anyway.

it's not like wooyoung could change the course of anyone's life, and a celebrity at that. this was just one of those inevitable things. san was only going to stay for three months like he said, and he'd leave at the end of it, like he said. wooyoung couldn't hold him back and make him stay even if he wanted to. he had a life to get back to, and so did wooyoung.

since that couldn't be helped, all wooyoung could do was attack himself instead. he should've clung onto that hatred for san as if his life depended on it. if only he had been more stubborn, if only he hadn't let his guard down one too many times... none of this would've happened. he wouldn't have ended up in a situation like this where the ending was a crystal clear one that wooyoung didn't look forward to.

he shifted his focus to hongjoong, who seemed to be doing better than before. at least he appeared to be happy after how his relationship ended. seeing hongjoong be back to his usual self gave him some sort of hope; maybe he'd eventually be fine after san was gone, too. maybe he was just reaching when it came to san's position in his life, and he wouldn't be affected by his absence at all. or maybe hongjoong was just really good at keeping his work and private life separate. the possibilities seemed to be endless the more wooyoung thought about them, making him even more frustrated.

"what's with the constipated look on your face?" hongjoong asked as he crouched next to wooyoung, who was taken aback because he had been too lost in his thoughts to even notice that hongjoong was approaching him.

"nothing much," wooyoung shook his head, falling back on the ground with his hands behind his head. "i just have a lot on my mind."

"you and me both," hongjoong chuckled, scrolling through his phone. wooyoung couldn't tell if he meant he was still hung up over his ex, but he chose to believe otherwise. he wanted to cling tightly to the little bit of hope he had, that he too would be fine without san.

"you got plans for this saturday?" hongjoong asked, eyes still fixed on his phone. "the season's carnival that's been closed for the last two years because of the pandemic. it's finally opening this weekend. we should go."

"right... grown men at a carnival," wooyoung muttered and hongjoong chuckled, nudging him.

"hey, who said grown men can't have a little fun?" he joked, "don't be so fragile."

"all right, fine, we should go for old time's sake. i'll call yeosang and yunho, too. they'll be on my ass about it for weeks if i go without them."

"the more the merrier," hongjoong said cheerfully. "yunho, you got time this weekend?" he cupped his mouth and yelled in yunho's direction.