chapter twenty eight

"i'll never understand people who keep their apartments or houses so minimal," seonghwa mumbled

"i'll never understand people who keep their apartments or houses so minimal," seonghwa mumbled. "i would slowly lose the will to live."

he was making a direct attack at choi san who's apartment had nothing to it besides essential furniture. "it's not like i'm gonna stay here forever. i'll be gone in two months." san justified, sitting across seonghwa on the dining table. seonghwa was busy cutting up a huge watermelon into star shapes with a cookie cutter.

"yeah, yeah, whatever," seonghwa dismissed before setting the cookie cutter aside and looking up at san inquisitively. "right. where did you run off to yesterday? i thought we'd decided to get drinks after work? you left me stranded there."

san sighed, putting his head down on the table. "i don't know. it was wooyoung."

"wooyoung?" seonghwa pondered with furrowed eyebrows. "oh. you mean the fill-in choreographer? what about him?"

"he hurt himself on set so i went to see him."

seonghwa blinked in disbelief. "you went to see him because he was hurt. you."

san lifted his head, glaring at seonghwa. "you say it like i'm some inhumane being with no morals or feelings."

"because you are." seonghwa affirmed, looking at san as if the boy was hiding something from him.

"well he's done too much for me, besides agreeing to be the new set choreographer. he took care of me back then when i was piss-drunk, too. i'd be a dick to not return the favor. you know i don't like to be indebted to people."

that wasn't a lie. it was true that wooyoung had helped him plenty of times before and san didn't know why because his hatred for san was way too obvious. it didn't take a genius to notice that. it would be a dick move to openly question it, too, because san had learned to just accept the help if he ever gets it, no matter who the person is.

"what do you mean he took care of you?" seonghwa pried, leaning forward. "come to think of it, you didn't even tell me how you met the guy. is he like, your cousin or something?"

"neighbor. i met him when i moved into this apartment." san said. the conversation reminded him of the first time he'd run into wooyoung. he stifled a chuckle thinking of how wooyoung had basically broken into his apartment and still had the nerve to argue with him in a situation like that instead of apologizing. hatred really did run deep. how cute, san thought to himself.

"he's your neighbor?! and you still play friends with him? what if he tells everyone he met you and knows where you live?!" seonghwa exclaimed, earning a groan from san.

"he's not like that," san defended. "besides, he's literally a celebrity choreographer. the guy trains idols for a living. i'm sure he has an idea of privacy."

"whatever you say," seonghwa muttered, going back to slicing his watermelon. san dropped his head back on the table. in all honesty, he initially found it weird how wooyoung really didn't react much when he first ran into him because choi san was a celebrity after all. he treated him like he was just another stranger. not that san expected any more than that, but it was weird.

he knew wooyoung was an anti-fan, but san had met plenty of them before. every single one of them treated him differently to his face as if they worshipped him. wooyoung never put on a show like them and san didn't know whether he preferred it that way or not. wooyoung was completely different when san introduced him to seonghwa; he gaped at the man like he was a legend of some sort. san crossed his arms on the table, placing his chin on his forearm.

wooyoung intrigued him. san was never one to shy away from his feelings or perceptions of other people regardless of how it would affect his career. he couldn't help that he was intrigued by wooyoung and he didn't want to help it either. he bit down on his lower lip, thinking of their encounter from the day before.

confusing was the perfect word to explain wooyoung. he claimed to hate san so much and pushed him away every chance he got. he even looked bothered whenever he was helping san out even though san had never once asked for it, besides when he asked wooyoung to replace their choreographer on set. for someone who openly hated san so much, wooyoung's heart really did beat quite fast whenever san was just a few inches from him. san could feel his pulse through the grip he had on his wrists; wooyoung was a quivering mess last night, not being able to say a word or even meet san's eyes. if he didn't know any better, san would assume the guy was in love with him. but hate radiated off of him in waves strong enough for san and anybody else to feel, so how was that even possible? his very existence screamed to the world that he hated choi san down to every last piece of him.

"but he's good looking, i'll give him that. wooyoung, i mean." seonghwa said, pulling san out of his introspection. san furrowed his eyebrows, turning his head to the side. it wasn't a thought that had never occurred to him before; if anything, it was his first impression of wooyoung.

he was attractive. maddening, but attractive. he had sharp eyes and a well defined jawline, not to mention the pretty beauty mark right under his left eye. he managed to look good even when he was drenched in sweat with strands of his wet hair latching onto his forehead. his new blonde-black hair only made him even more charming. the immersed look on wooyoung's face whenever he danced because of how passionate he was about his work, his protruding adam's apple whenever he drank out of his water bottle, the drops of sweat trickling from the side of his neck down to his prominent collarbones—everything about him was appealing, in san's eyes.

it would be a lie if san said he didn't know why wooyoung was so capable of making him worried or angry. for some reason, wooyoung's hatred for san made him want to try harder, like he was trying to make a point. he wanted to break down the walls of his stone-cold neighbor who only showed san his bad side every time they faced each other, yet still helped san out whenever he needed it the most. almost like enemies with benefits, but the enemies part was one-sided. san hated all his anti-fans that acted nice to his face like two-headed snakes, but wooyoung wasn't like them. he couldn't bring himself to dislike the guy even a little, nor did he want to.

san stared at the towel hanging off the chair next to seonghwa, the same towel wooyoung had given to him the previous night. the perfect excuse. and so he took his cap and mask off the table and stood up. "where are you going?" seonghwa called from behind as san made his way to the door.

"i'm going down to the store," he responded, putting on his cap and fetching his wallet from the key-bowl. "don't ask for anything because i won't get it for you. and i might be back late."

san ignored the string of curses from seonghwa and closed the apartment door behind him. he stood in the elevator, pressing on the ground floor button and shoving his hands in his pockets.

deep down in there, choi san really had no idea why he was acting the way he was, but he could only pretend he knew so he wouldn't lose his mind half-way there.