chapter twenty one

after a long night of training, working, meandering about and short bursts of rest so wooyoung could succumb to his many, many thoughts all while sleeping on grass, it was time to head back

after a long night of training, working, meandering about and short bursts of rest so wooyoung could succumb to his many, many thoughts all while sleeping on grass, it was time to head back. of course, choi san had been kind enough to offer him a ride back to his place.

how sweet of him to lend out a helping hand, right? as if after practically dragging wooyoung out of his workplace and putting him in the spotlight in front of all his colleagues, he wasn't obliged to do so. but whatever.

after enjoying a silent ride back home, the two waddled side by side, occasionally bumping shoulders as they navigated their way through the apartment complex to their own building. "thanks for helping out, by the way. you saved us a lot of work there." san spoke up, disrupting the silence that wooyoung had been bathing in like it were some God-given gift to be treasured.

"well i had no choice. literally." wooyoung reminded, raising his eyebrows at choi san, who only laughed on command in response. "what am i even going to tell the other boys?" wooyoung proceeded, rubbing his face with his hands. "i don't know what excuse i'd have to pull out of my ass to explain my way out of this one."

san cleared his throat. despite being the reason for all this mess, he himself had no advice to offer. "i should've thought this one out," he said, obviously referring to how he had decided barging into wooyoung's workplace for everybody to see was the best decision ever.

"yeah, no shit." wooyoung scoffed. choi san pursed his lips, and wooyoung decided this was the best time to end a conversation he had no intentions of continuing. to no avail, as usual, as choi san slung an arm around wooyoung's shoulder and led the two to the park bench in the centre of the complex.

wooyoung stared down at san, swatting his arm away as he started to get up. "what are you doing? it's late enough as it is. aren't you exhausted?"

san shook his head. "i don't know, working gives me this kind of joy. and when i'm done working, i have all this energy left, you know?" he sighed peacefully, staring up at the sky. "i love loving my job."

wooyoung deadpanned at him, revolted. as if he ever asked. he shoved his hands into his pockets, falling back onto the bench for some reason. "but you clearly love your job more than i do." san said with a slight smile on his face, turning to look at wooyoung with his donkey-like eyes that sparkled with curiosity.

"you know you do this thing? where you talk about me like you know everything about me." he responded, furrowing his eyebrows. and it was true; choi san really did seem to be butting into wooyoung's personal bubble, and wooyoung had seemed to pick up on his attempts. no matter whether they were on particularly horrendous terms at the moment or not, wooyoung still had zero intention of letting choi san wriggle his way closer to him until they were tight enough to be considered even 'friends'.

"calm, i didn't mean to attack your person, or whatever." choi san chuckled. "i know, i hardly know anything about you. besides the fact that you love to dance and you absolutely hate my guts."

"oh, did i make it too obvious?" wooyoung retorted, earning another laugh from san. it was almost like that was the only thing he knew how to do in response to any situation.

"what about me? what do i make, 'too obvious' ?" san spoke in air quotes, asking a weird question probably in attempt to keep the conversation going. wooyoung didn't question it either way, because this was hardly the weirdest thing san could say or do.

the upper hand you think you have over common people? your ego? wooyoung had to bite his lip before he said anything that would initiate an argument or anything of the sort, but it was much harder to think of something nice to say. either wooyoung was a passionate hater, or san was just a very meh person that wasn't worth paying attention to.

"you clearly don't have anything nice to say about me, seeing how it's taking you so long to respond." san joked, tone light enough for wooyoung to deduce he wasn't offended.

wooyoung shrugged. "be a more interesting person, maybe?"

"of course, of course." he laughed once again, and wooyoung stared at the smile lines so evident on his face. dimples formed on his cheeks and his eyes creased. the wind blew his black hair over his eyes and he brushed it back by running his hand through it. and as he quietly invaded san's personal space with his eyes, he couldn't help but wonder; why did god make such a despicable person so good looking?

"anyways, let's head back. i won't bother you further than this." san said, getting up and dusting his clothes. wooyoung nodded in agreement, following after him and getting up.

"i'll see you tomorrow, then?" san had asked before heading back into his apartment.

"yeah," wooyoung responded, voice ever so meek as an uneasy feeling erupted in his chest upon seeing the gentle smile san had offered in return before shutting the door behind him.