chapter twenty five

wooyoung was up as soon as the clock struck seven and his phone alarm began blaring

he wished he could sleep through it, only he couldn't, because then san would figure out some way or the other to march into his place again. even a notice about assault & robbery cases couldn't manage to achieve what the great choi san had achieved—thanks to him, wooyoung finally started to lock his doors.

by the time he was done brushing his teeth, taking a shower, dressing up and having his breakfast, it was almost time to leave for work. he jogged down the stairs instead of using the elevator so as to eliminate any remaining sleepiness in his system. 

the sun was gleaming down on him and everything else it's light touched, painting wooyoung golden and prickling his skin. his simple tank top exposed his whole arms to the heat as if he had purposefully walked out with the desire to be human sacrifice, and so he ran to the black van that was already waiting in front of the apartment building, pushing the door open and getting in.

"you're earlier than san these days." san's manager mr. kim remarked from the driver's seat while looking at wooyoung through the rear-view mirror. wooyoung only laughed awkwardly in response, tying his blonde-black hair up into a ponytail with the hair tie he had been wearing on his left hand. 

"san should consider himself lucky he ended up with a neighbor like you," his manager continued, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. he then turned around and faced wooyoung, allowing the latter to take note of the curiosity in his eyes. "you really haven't told anyone that you live next to him yet? even though it's the choi san we're talking about?"

wooyoung pursed his lips and shook his head no. why did everybody seem to speak of choi san as if he was someone that was above the rest of humanity, like a saint, or something? mr. kim hummed, facing forward. "thanks for lending a helping hand anyway. i know choi san can be insufferable at times."

"at times?" wooyoung repeated in a mocking manner, earning a loud laugh from mr. kim. would he still be laughing if he knew that wooyoung wasn't really joking, though? 

choi san was finally down as well, and he jumped in to the back of the van. wooyoung shifted to the side, making way. "what are you laughing about?" san asked his manager curiously, slapping his shoulder.

"trust me," he said, still laughing, "you don't wanna know." 

san playfully glared at wooyoung. "you guys were talking about me behind my back, weren't you?"

wooyoung only threw his hands up in defense, maintaining his silence. choi san burst into a fit of light chuckles too. "i'm just kidding with you." he said, ruffling wooyoung's hair. wooyoung swatted his hand away as soon as it came, turning away and staring outside the window as the van began to move, hoping the rest of the ride would be a silent one. because every conversation had choi san laughing no matter how unfunny it was, and wooyoung didn't really want to be filled with peculiar thoughts again upon seeing the long dimples that pulled at san's cheeks.