chapter fifteen

it'd been 3 days since wooyoung last faced choi san

after speaking to the landlady and giving their statements to the cops after choi san's dumbass decided to get robbed, the most he'd seen of san was the back of his head when he was headed to the studio and san was off to somewhere else ahead of him.

and in accordance, it'd been 3 days since san was last on wooyoung's mind.

at present, the weekend had come by quick, and wooyoung was at the theatre with hongjoong, along with mingi, jongho and yunho. just like hongjoong had promised the boys, they were all headed to watch a movie. choi san's movie.

the events of the previous few days only came into wooyoung's mind when his eyes landed on the giant movie poster at the entrance of the theatre, which had choi san's face on it. he clicked his tongue in annoyance. there was no getting used to that face, no matter how many times he'd run into it.

"oh my god, i can't wait!" jongho squealed, jumping up and down with a large cup of caramel popcorn in his hands. "this is probably my favorite movie. i could watch it over and over again."

"you've seen the movie before?" mingi asked, to which jongho nodded. "for real? then can you give me like, a synopsis or something? because i've never heard of it before. this is my first time watching a choi san movie, too."

jongho shrugged. "dunno. i fell asleep halfway in." he said, which earned him a smack to the head from mingi. wooyoung on the other hand felt like he had somewhat succeeded in something because finally, there was someone who didn't have a clue about choi san.

"okay guys, are you done bickering?" hongjoong started, "it's time for the movie to start."

nevertheless, mingi and jongho continued their bickering up until they were seated.

despite being so adamant against watching any of choi san's works, wooyoung found himself immersed in the movie. it was a heavy-hearted romance movie about two high school sweethearts that grew to go their own separate ways, only to have their paths cross once more in the future. the first time he'd seen the movie, he was too busy shitting on choi san's every move to really focus on what the film was about.

keeping aside his hatred for san, wooyoung found himself almost liking the movie– he would never admit to that, though. and for some reason, that bothered him. he snapped himself out of his trance and leaned forward in his seat. "i'm going to the washroom," he had said to the rest of the boys, when in reality, he just needed to step out for some air.

he still couldn't explain the deep-rooted hatred he had for choi san that expressed itself in many ways. wooyoung had never before disliked someone to the point he had to literally step out of a room before he was overwhelmed by hatred. whatever it was, wooyoung needed a break from it. he'd been clashing into choi san and things related to him one too many times now, and it was starting to make him feel suffocated.

he sighed into the cold air, shoving his hands into his pockets. finally, some alone time–

"jung wooyoung?" a voice called from behind him.

he furrowed his eyebrows and turned around, assuming it was one of the guys, only to groan upon seeing the face he was met with. "san."

just like it was destiny, there stood choi san, right in front of him, his face shielded by the hood of his grey sweatshirt. san was lightly panting, and he looked wooyoung up and down before reaching for the torn ticket in his hand. "hah," he quipped, "i knew it was you."

wooyoung raised his eyebrows at that.

"you were watching my movie." he said as a matter of fact, inching closer to wooyoung with his arms crossed.

now, wooyoung rolled his eyes. "yeah, and? big deal. it's just a movie. why were you there, anyways?"

"i like to watch reruns of this movie. it's my favorite work of mine so far. why are you here?" san scurried his words as if he was almost eager to question wooyoung. his eyebrows were furrowed, and like always, his sharp eyes were boring into wooyoung's.

"am i not allowed to be here?"

"i thought you didn't like me."

"yeah, well, i don't." wooyoung cleared his throat, once again taken aback by san's straightforwardness. "my friends wanted to watch so i just went with it."

san finally lifted his gaze when he said that. "oh." he had responded, stepping back and shoving his hands into the pockets of his sweatshirt. "that makes sense, i guess."

wooyoung grumbled. before he could stop himself, he had begun to speak. "hey, man, i know it doesn't make a lot of sense but can you, maybe, stay out of my way?" he complained, "i've been running into you one too many times for it to be a coincidence now."

san was now staring at wooyoung intently. "plus, i have work too, you know." wooyoung continued, "and you decide to do weird stuff like fall sick and get robbed and that makes shit harder for me, if you get what i'm saying."

for a moment, san didn't speak. he just continued to stare at wooyoung, amused, only to let out an egoistic laugh seconds later. wooyoung stared at him in disbelief. "what's so funny–"

"i never asked you to." san interrupted, inching closer with his gaze tightly fixated on him. wooyoung knitted his eyebrows in confusion, feeling a ball of rage bubble inside him. "i never asked you to take care of me when i was sick, and i never asked you to pay attention to me in case i get robbed."

"you didn't have to. you're not getting my point, man. it's literally what any normal person with basic human decency would do–"

"yeah?" san stopped him once again, inching even closer. "then why are you complaining, huh? why are you so upset about how you have to keep crossing paths with me?" for once, wooyoung didn't have an answer for san's bullcrap.

"because, from the looks of it, jung wooyoung," san proceeded, lowering his tone to an almost whisper, "you know deep down that you have no reason to hate me. because if you really did, you would have never helped me. you would've never gone out of your way to do shit for me. don't give me that human decency bullshit, because you and i both know you're not that kind of guy."

"you don't know shit about me, or anything." wooyoung responded bitterly.

choi san was quick to respond. "oh but i do," he laughed another amused laugh, stepping back. "i told you, wooyoung, i see through people like you."

"oh yeah?" wooyoung retorted, crossing his arms. "tell me, then. what kind of person am i?"

"you're jealous." san stated confidently, crossing his arms. "because i have it better than you."

wooyoung had no words for this level of disconnection from reality.

"you're right." he agreed, not wanting to continue the conversation any further. "i'm very, extremely, jealous of you because you have an amazing life where you can't even walk into a grocery store without everybody recognizing you, because all your films are hits, because you're such an amazing and diverse actor." he went off sarcastically, raising his voice with each and every sentence. "and i'm just a dumb small irrelevant human being that wallows and rots in my home because i can never be someone as amazing as you."

choi san blinked in response, probably having gotten a whiff of the underlying message wooyoung had been trying to send.

"the world doesn't fucking revolve around you, choi san. get your head out of your ass." he completed sternly and gave him one last glare before turning around to leave. he didn't even have the patience to go and join his friends once more after having had his entire day ruined by an egoistic prick.

and so, he just walked away with a whole lot of bottled up rage in his system, leaving behind any remaining guilt or positive feelings he had left for choi san.