Chapter 2 - sexual tension

Maddie's POV

I'm casually sitting down at my desk this morning starting on some of my school work when I hear a knock at my door. I know it's my mom before she ever enters. She's dressed in her scrubs and she looks cute.

"Hi, mom," I tell her as she smiles at me and comes over kissing my forehead. "How are your classes?" she asks standing next to me. "Good right now. I'm not gonna lie though, it's weird not having Izzy here doing them with me." I tell her as she sighs and sits on the end of my bed. I roll over and sit in front of her as she reaches for my hand and rubs it.

"Have you talked to her?" she asks as I sigh. A little bit, honestly I've never been so lonely without my best friend. I know what she did was wrong, and so does she, and so does Lance. But she's my best friend and now that she's pregnant I worry about her even more. She's been through hell trying to cover up the fact that she is, but I know I miss her and so does Lance. He's really not the same without her at all.

I cried my heart out a few months ago when I dropped her off at the airport with her cat Gary, and now I know I miss having her around. I'm going to have to go see her soon, especially so Emmy can kick her aunt Maddie's hand like Izzy's been telling me she loves to do. I can't wait to be an aunt, especially to that little bundle of love.

"A little, she's different" I start. "She's calmer like she's grown up a lot and I miss her," I tell my mom honestly.

"So when is your fall break?" she asks as I sigh. "Like four weeks" I answer back as she nods. "Maybe get on a plane and go see her then. I'm sure she's lonely without you too," she tells me kissing my head as she hugs me, "Just something to think about, maybe a getaway would be good for you".

"I'm gonna be late if I don't go now. I'll see you for dinner right? Or are you going to go see Paxton?" she asks as I move back over to my desk.

"I'll be here. He's going to dinner with his biological father" I tell her as her eyes bulge. I know she's shocked and so am I. I didn't expect him to want that relationship back so quickly and now that he is, I'm not even sure I support it. But I woke up to a text telling me he loved me and he'd see me tomorrow. "Jax told me he met him but dinner?" she asks as I nod.

"I don't know. He wants a relationship and you know Paxton. He sees the good in everyone. But, I'm afraid he's going to get hurt, and then I'll have to pick up the pieces." I tell her as she nods.

"Maybe tell him that, I gotta go. Love you sweetheart" she tells me as I smile and wave her off, "Love you too" I answer back before she goes. I sit back down at my desk and Snapchat Izzy with a big smile on my face and she sends back a picture of her in bed with a big bun and coal in her eyes.

I send back heart-eye emojis with SEXY MAMA written to make her laugh. Her next response is a picture of her from bed with the reflection of a mirror giving me a bird as I laugh. I miss her.

I'm about to Snapchat her again when another knock at my door comes. I'm surprised to see it's my dad, especially since I just saw him when I went and did yoga at the gym with mom. "Hey, Mads." He tells me knocking on the door as he opens it.

"What's up, old man?" I ask him as he crosses his arms over his big chest. "So..." he trails off as I nod. Hopefully, this is about my proposal from two weeks ago. I need a job, badly and he just so happens to need someone working at the front desk to greet the customers of his gym. I'd be really great at it and I could work out when I'm done and get my school work done while I'm there.

I don't want to work anywhere else.

It's a win-win if he'll take a chance on me. I know I have no work experience but he's my father and he knows my work ethic.