Chapter 4 - sexual tension 2.0

Maddie's POV

A week. A full week of being without Paxton and I can't eat, I can't breathe, I can't shower, I can't work out, I can't pay attention to my school work, I can't work. I can't do anything but sit in my bed sobbing my eyes out. I've lost ten pounds within a week, I've lost even more of who Maddie used to be.

My mental health is in the toilet along with my confidence and the ability to give a fuck about anything anymore. I'm laying on the bed towards the window when there's a knock at my door. It opens and I don't even turn around as I feel my mom spoon in behind me and grab me in her arms as she hugs me.

"I know it hurts now. I know you are in pain but baby it'll be okay. I've been here Mads." she tells me rubbing my scalp in her hand as I flip around and cuddle into her chest. I soak her sweatshirt in my tears as she holds me rubbing my scalp and my back.

"Honey" she whispers as I wipe my tears. "Mom I thought he was meant to be my husband," I tell her as she sighs.

"Tell me what happened Maddie. It's been a week." She tells me as I wipe my tears. I look at my bedroom door shut and sit up as she holds my hand and sits up in front of me as I lean on my pillows and wipe my face.

"He-, mom he changed. In a week. His father changed everything about him. I thought for a few months that he wasn't okay, and sure that was it but I just thought he was super stressed. But then he just-, he insulted me for working out, he told me I was too worried about what I wanted to be in a relationship. He tried to control what I was going to do and I know I don't want that. But old Paxton wasn't like that-, and now, I told him not to contact me but I figured, stupidly, that he would show up and apologize and he hasn't. He used to be so sweet and charming and I still love him but this hurts."
I whisper softly.

"Mads, how do you feel?" She asks. "I feel heartbroken. I'm more heartbroken in the fact that I was with someone I didn't even recognize than anything." I tell her wiping my tears softly.

"So then how do we make this better?" She asks rubbing my back. "I don't know. Let me sit here and cry." I tell her as she sighs and rubs my back.

"Absolutely not, we're going to go shopping with your dads' credit card, and then we're going to have dinner and get your mind off of it." She tells me as she rubs my hands making me slightly smile.

"Mom I appreciate that but I can't right now," I tell her. "How about pizza and movies?" She asks as I nod. I can do that.

"We can do that. I'd like that." I tell her as she smiles. "I love you." She tells me as I nod.

"I love you too mom," I tell her as she rubs my cheek, and then the doorbell rings. Her face pales with mine and my tears whelp as I wipe my face. It can't be him, he- maybe he really did pick me and give up everything.

I stand and run to the door downstairs with my mom behind me, but when I open the door it's not Paxton. It's a flower delivery guy, "Madison Rutledge?" He asks as I nod. I take the flowers from him and put them on the table before ripping the card out and opening it with my mom watching from the stairs.

"Who sent it?" She asks coming down as I open the card. Your dad told me you were sick. Hope you feel better so I can have my gym eye candy back. - LL. And on the back it has his phone number- in case you need anything, it reads.

And I hand her the card before softly crying harder. She reads it and then I bust out telling her how I met him and how he's been flirting with me, but I never did anything with him and he knows I was in a relationship. I tell her everything.

"Maddie, did you cheat?" She asks as I shake my head no. "Absolutely not. I could have never cheated on him and been okay with it. Mom, Lexington is a big flirt, that's all." I tell her as I walk back over to her.