Chapter 38 - broken

Lexington's POV

I've never felt heartbreak this bad before. My mom dying, it was at the top of the list, my dad, even further, but this. This isn't what I expected to happen to me, ever. I'm not Lex anymore, I'm different. And I've vowed to myself that I will never become soft like that again. I stupidly let Maddie creep in until she was my world. But now, that will never happen to me again.

I was blindsided. I thought she wanted to get married faster, and once she planned it she backed out? What the fuck was that? She could have just fucking told me that I was pushing her too much, or that she needed more time, but no, she dumps me.

I'm not letting that happen to me ever again. Which is why I've packed up all my shit and I'm moving, again. I'm not staying here anymore, there's no purpose. I want my own company and I've got to the point now that I can start that anywhere, as long as I build up my clientele. I've packed up all my stuff, and I've left Maddie's in cardboard boxes for her to eventually come and get, or send her dad for all I fucking care.

I'm not dealing with this house anymore. Everywhere I look is Maddie, our engagement photos, our other engagement photos she had taken before the wedding, her picture with Izzy and Emmy, it's too much for me to handle. I reach down on the floor, grab the dog toy from Tebo and hold it between my fist before throwing it at the fucking wall and breaking a glass frame.

Fuck all this. I'm fuming when the doorbell rings and I open the door. Who I don't expect to see is Maddie and she looks fucking horrible. She's lost so much weight I barely recognize her. Her hair is a giant mess and she's in her pajamas and sneakers. But her face, she's blown up and puffy from crying, her eyes are sunken in, and she looks so pale she's unhealthy.

"What the fuck do you want?" I spit out as she wipes her tears off. "Can we talk?" she asks as I shake my head no. "Nope," I demand trying to shut the door when she stops me by stepping her foot into the way.

"Please Lex" she whispers as I sigh and open it enough for her to slip in. "I'm sorry. I know I hurt you and it's my fault. I wanted to get married sooner and when it came down to it I wasn't ready and I know that. I pushed it up, and I messed up everything and I hurt you and I'm sorry. I didn't even realize what I had done until now and I'm fucking sorry okay? I didn't mean to hurt you." she mutters out crying her eyes out.

"And you didn't think to tell me that before you left? You never even gave me a chance to talk before you're up and running!" I shout as she nods.

"I know but what was I supposed to do? I wasn't ready and I'm still not ready yet" she whispers. "Do you honestly think that I wouldn't have waited on you?" I ask as she sighs and shakes her head no.

"You would have" she whispers as I nod. I would have if she would have told me I'd be willing to wait on her but she didn't even give me the fucking chance. "I'm sorry. What can I do to fix this?" she whispers.

"You can't" I spit out as I pull away from her. I walk into the kitchen as I start packing up the utensils making her realize it's time for her to go. "You've packed up everything" she whispers as I wrap up the plates.

"You can go" I spit out as she walks into the kitchen and comes over to me. "Where are you going?" she asks as I sigh. "Not here" I spit out.

"Lex I'm sorry" she whispers as I laugh under my breath. "You don't fucking get to say sorry and think that fixes every fucking thing, Maddie!" I shout at her.

"I know! But I'm miserable without you and you are too. You can't tell me you've been taking care of yourself either because you've lost weight and your eyes are sunken in too!" she yells back.