Chapter 19 - truth

Maddie's POV

"No, dad. Sit down and tell him now. I'm not dealing with this shit anymore!" I spit out pushing him to sit down on Lexington's couch. Lexington is sitting with an ice pack on his face moody as fuck. He has a right to be, I've dragged my dad against his will, along with my mom, to tell Lexington everything that's been going on. Lexington was half asleep and it's now one in the morning.

"Maddie" he warns as I glare at him. "What the fuck is this about?" Lexington asks flaring his nose.

"Dad fucking now" I spit out holding Lexington's hand on his thigh. He sighs before he tells Lexington everything. My mom is sitting beside him on the couch holding his hand, mocking what I'm doing with Lexington as I keep him calm by rubbing his hand.

It takes about five minutes before Lexington realizes what he's talking about. I can tell Lexington doesn't believe shit until my dad opens his jacket and pulls out Lex's background check. He takes the file and hands it to him. Lex opens it and starts reading it as he takes his hand away from mine to flip through the files.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" he asks after five more minutes of quietness. He's reading it and slams the papers down as he sighs.

"That's why I don't like this," my dad tells him motioning between Lex and me. "I don't even know who that fucking is," Lex tells him.

"But you're a fighter, it's in you. He hurt Ry, and I'll be damned if I let something like that happen again to Maddie when I can prevent it" he spits out as I lean my head onto Lexington's shoulder and remember he's sore so I pull away.

"Even when I tell you that I don't have a clue who this person is. When you liked me before that, you were teaching me what you knew and then just fucking changed." Lexington tells him.

"You'd do the same thing if that happened to your wife" Jax spits out as my mom stops him. "Hell no. I am fine, Jax, you cannot hold what happened to me over Lexington's head when he had no idea. It's not right! And you know Lexington is nothing like that obviously, I mean look at what he's accomplished for himself so young and on his own. Sure he's made mistakes, but so have you in the past and I forgave you. You of all people should appreciate that. Lexington is coincidentally a fighter, not a kidnapper or a murderer or anything else. He's a good man, he trains as you do, he works, he's got his own stuff and doesn't need anything. And you know what if he makes Maddie as happy as I know she is with him then why stop it? Jax, I love you and you know that but this is wrong. Let them be happy, she's not five on her bike with training wheels and piggy tails, she'll always be our baby girl but she's not a baby anymore. She's an adult and we have to let her be one for heaven's sake she'll be twenty in two months." She tells him as I smile at my mom. This is why I love her, she knows how I feel, she's my biggest fan, and I love her so much.

"Dad, what can I do to prove to you that I want this?" I ask softly. He sighs looking up at me as he rubs his knuckles together.

"I do agree what I did was uncalled for and you didn't deserve that. But I don't apologize so that's as much as you're getting." He tells Lexington as my mom harshly backhands him on the shoulder.

"Jax so help me god I will rip your balls off and make you get a vasectomy if I see my child cry one more time today because of you." She spits out as he laughs at her and she gently smiles.

"I apologize," he tells Lexington. "I don't want a need a fucking apology. Just tell me you won't keep bringing this shit up when Maddie's hurt by it." Lexington tells him holding an ice pack on his face.

"I won't anymore. Maddie, I'm sorry," he tells me as I nod. "I'm sorry too. I should have told you sooner and that's my fault, I take full responsibility and I don't hate you, but at that moment you crossed a line." I demand as he nods.