Chapter 5

"No available units."

    That was what I've been saying every time I got back to Nick's car. We've been to 3 buildings and they were all full. It felt like deja vu.

    "Let's try another one." Nick says again as he continued to drive.

    "Aren't you tired?" I say to him since he's been driving for hours. "I could just try again tomorrow." I told him because I didn't want to waste any more of his time.

    "I have work tomorrow." He says.

    "I can go alone. I'll take the subway." I tell him. "And it's not like I haven't lived in New York. I've been here for a year." I reminded him.

    He still looked like he was against it but he still went to drive back to his apartment. On the drive, I thought about what he said earlier.

    About if I wanted to volunteer being the first one to break his heart.

    I knew he was only kidding, but it made me think. Between the two of us, he had a much bigger chance on breaking mine.

    "I have to stop somewhere." he says on the way. I just nodded. I shouldn't complain, he could stop over a hundred places and I'd still be okay with it. He's already done so much for me.

    We stopped in front of a boutique. It had a long line in front of it and I saw a picture of him out front. I figured it was one of those meet and greets that brands organize to get more sales or if they have a new endorser.

    He looked at me. "I have a thing. This wouldn't take long." he says.

    "It's okay." I gave him a smile. "Should I just wait in the car?" I told him.

    Although the cameras weren't really that hot on him, I didn't want there to be an issue involving me and Nicolas. It wouldn't be good for his rep, and I didn't want anyone that knew me to know about this. Like I said, I'm not good with any kind of attention.

    He shook his head. "You can come along. You'll just get bored here." He says, not waiting for me to say something as he already went out of the car.

    Sometimes, he stresses me out.

    I followed him out the parking lot as he walked towards the boutique. I walked a little farther away from him, making it look like we weren't walking together.

    "Just keep your distance." He says when we neared the boutique.

    I knew I've been doing just that, but hearing it from him stung a little. Even if he told me the reason of why I shouldn't be close, because he didn't want the media to look into my personal life, it hurt a little.

    It wasn't supposed to but it does. I was just reminded of how far away he is. Of how he was someone I'll never get to fully grab a hold of even if he's only inches away from me.

    Of how far apart our worlds are. Of how far he is from me.

    We got to the boutique separately. I went inside the boutique, pretending to look at clothes while he went to the organizers of the event.

    I went through some of the clothing racks, pretending to pick. I looked at where Nick was earlier and saw that he was now sitting behind a long table, filled with water bottles, a few papers, and a pen.

    The line started moving and they were starting to let some of the girls get inside. I saw how he was all smiles as he greeted them. They took pictures with him and looked at him with so much admiration.