Chapter 12

26th of June, 1963

Today he'd said it again. He said he loved me. Unlike all the other times, today I didn't say it back. I was hesitant.

I know it must have been cruel. But, I just don't think I could take any more of this. This constant back and forth of feeling okay right now and then breaking down the next. I know he deserves better, that's why I'm trying to let him see that. He doesn't listen to everyone but me, so I'm trying my best to tell him. This is best for both of us. I'm doing the right thing.

But why does doing the right thing pain me so much?

    "I'm so glad you two made up."

    My attention was brought to Mel, Nick's assistant, who was drinking coffee in the kitchen counter. I have been reading my grandmother's diary for days now and as I go through the pages, it just keeps getting heavier.

    Mel stopped by, supposedly, to discuss things with Nick about a project. But, Nicolas had a last minute event that he had to go to earlier so, Mel just decided to wait for him here.

    "We didn't really fight." I told him. "He just got a little cold, but I understand him now." I smiled. I remember everything he told me and I can't help but feel sad whenever I think of it.

    "I know. Nick usually does that. He tends to be self destructive when people get close to him." he let out a small sigh. "He tried doing that with me too when we started becoming close friends. I understood him slowly, he opened up since he can't really get rid of me because I work for him. He didn't have much of a choice. The guy's stuck with me." Mel says in a sassy tone, even pointing his manicured nails to himself. I laughed.

    "He felt very bad you know. When you two weren't talking." Mel says which made me turn to him. "He was very distracted at work. I even thought he was going to stay away from you completely. I was actually surprised that he was the one that decided to patch things up and actually explain himself. Talk about character development." he says, smiling to himself.

    Oh no. Not Mel too.

    I prepared myself for what he's about to say. I know it could possibly be something that will get my hopes up again. It would make me think that how Nick views me is something different from anyone else and is something that's more than just a friend.

    I didn't need that right now. Not when I'm about to move in to my own apartment the next week.

    Yes, I finally saved enough to get the apartment I've been eyeing. I was actually so glad about it. I also realized how the location was even better than the one I got scammed for. It was close to NYU and also close to Yanny's place. It was a win-win. Although, I am aware that I'm going to be leaving this place soon.

    "Skyler, you're good for him. I've never seen Nick this.. full of life before. His smile looks a lot brighter now. More genuine. I consider Nick as a good friend of mine. I've known him for a few years now, but it's only now that he looked like this. Like he's actually living. So, thank you."

    I told Mel that I shouldn't take credit for that. There might be a lot of other reasons why Nick might be acting like that now. But Mel insisted it had a lot to do with me.

    "Well, if that's really true then I'm just glad I was able to make him feel like that as his friend." I told Mel when he still continued to insist I take credit for making Nick seem happier these days.

    Mel snorted. "Friend. Right." he mutters to himself and shook his head.

    "I can't wait to live next to you! I could finally sleep over!" Yanny said as she was helping me carry some of my stuff inside my new apartment. It was two days before the move and I'm just finishing up with getting the apartment ready.