EPILOGUE

Sophomore year

"I just know the test is going to be so difficult!" my cousin, Yanny, complains to me as she drops her book to the floor.

I laugh at how she looked like she's already given up even if the test hasn't even happened yet.

"Whatever, I'm tired. If I'll pass, I'll pass, and if I don't then it's just not meant to be." She says, more to herself than to me. She was even nodding as if what she's saying was something inspirational.

I shake my head at her. Well, that was Yanny for you. She usually just rides the tide and sees where it takes her. I wish I could be like her sometimes.

Unlike her, I've always been the kind to think things through and calculate every single outcome to any situation. I worry about things even before they happen. It gets a little tiring sometimes.

I've already gone through my notes for the fourth time and I figured I needed a break. So, I went out the little balcony in my room to look up at the sky. I've always liked looking at it because I was named after it. My mother told me that before I was born, she was looking at a sky full of stars with my dad. And on the afternoon that day, she had seen a beautiful sunset.

She wanted to name me after something she deemed as beautiful, because even before I was born she had already thought of me that way.

But, I sometimes think my mother doesn't see me as that anymore. She keeps telling me to get better at things. It's been giving me a lot of pressure lately. Maybe that's also why I'm like this, so calculated and careful of my actions. I don't want to disappoint my mom.

I looked down at my phone to see that he had posted something.

Him.

The guy I recently found out about.

It was another one of his sketches. I can't help but smile. He was so talented, and he's achieved so much even if he was only two years older than me. I can't help but admire him.

Whenever he posts something, I always get butterflies for some reason. It wasn't like he knew me, or was ever going to know me. It was just a good feeling, I guess.

—To have someone that inspires you without requiring them to know who you are.

I looked up at the sky again.

Wherever you are in the world right now, I hope you're happy, I thought.

It was comforting. Even if I wasn't ever going to meet him, I knew we were looking at one sky and the same stars. We'll witness the same sun and be under the same moon every night. That's enough.

Knowing that he's somewhere out there is enough for me.

I liked the photo he posted and was about to comment something when I decided against it.

Why was I getting shy now? It's not like he was actually going to read it.

Ultimately, I decided to use another account that didn't have my personal stuff on it. I made the account and thought of what to call it.

I looked up at the sky, and thought of the millions of stories it had witnessed. It has probably seen a lot of days unfold but couldn't tell anyone else about them. The night sky was beautiful and mysterious for it had a lot of secrets.

That's it.

skysecrets the prettiest sketches. i hope it's nice where you are, Nicolas.