Chapter 13

It has been a month ever since I moved in. Life has been pretty hectic as I was going through midterms and also getting used to a new routine in my new place.

    Yanny has been sleeping over a lot since I moved and she's been a lot cheery too. I think things were going well for her and that neighbor of hers. I'm happy for her.

    "Oh. My. God." Yanny mutters.

    She was sleeping over for the weekend again. She's been staying over so often that it's basically like she's moved in with me. I don't mind though, it makes me miss it less.

    "What?" I asked her, motioning to look at her phone. She immediately snatched it away, making it impossible for me to reach. "Nothing!" She looked like she just did something illegal towards me that it made me even more intrigued to know what she saw.

    "Danielle." I say.

    With just a mention of her name, she slowly handed me her phone, sighing in the process.

    As soon as I saw what was in it, my heartbeat started going at an alarming rate. I didn't know how to react to it, all I knew was that I didn't like it. Even if I have no right to.

    International model, Nicolas Leon, spotted having dinner with actress, Heaven Jones.

    I only read the headline and I immediately gave it back to Yanny. I didn't need to read any more.

    "Are you okay?" Yanny says, careful not to say anything else. I only nodded.

    The last time I saw Nicolas was on our drive upstate. He had told me we should stay in touch but the last time we ever talked was the day I moved in. I figured it was only because we were both busy, I didn't know there was just someone he was busy with.

    I tried to act okay in front of Yanny. I don't want her to worry about me and my issues when she's happy with Riley right now.

    But I wasn't.

    I wasn't okay.

    I suddenly remembered what that one girl from high school called me. Pathetic. I'm so pathetic getting hurt over a guy that I never had a chance with in the first place.

    I wanted it to go away. I tried making it go away. But then I remember the kindness he showed me, how he laughed at things I said, how he smiled at me, and us driving upstate. Then it all comes back.

    I convince myself that it doesn't matter. Who cares if he doesn't like me? As long as we were friends. It doesn't matter if he dates someone else. As long as I was once a part of his life. That's good enough for me.

    But is it really?

    Because right now, it terribly terribly hurts.

    I guess it all meant nothing.

    Of course it meant nothing.

    Why would he be hung up on a college girl going through a quarter life crisis who got scammed over an apartment? Of course he wasn't.

    I was in the bookstore me and Yanny worked at. I dropped my other part time jobs but I didn't stop working here when I got the money for my apartment. I have learned to love the place and my job, even if it gives me headaches sometimes.

    "Skyler, you could rest for a bit." Heather says.

    "It's okay, I'm good." I say, giving her a cheerful smile, but she only gave me a look that says she was worried about me.