Chapter 21

I woke up to the beams of light hitting my face. I looked beside me to see Nicolas still fast asleep. I brought the blanket over me, feeling cold, for I only slept in my bikini because I was too tired to change.

    I thought about what almost happened and I can't help but think of how grateful I was to call him mine. He's been so patient with me and he doesn't rush me to do anything I wasn't a hundred percent sure of. I know that was the bare minimum, but you just can't find someone like that easily these days.

    I traced my fingers on his face. He looked so beautiful from afar, but even more so up close.

    How could a human look this heavenly?

    He moved and he slowly opened his eyes, squinting. I pulled my hand away, trying not to get caught that I've been staring at him since earlier.

    "Good morning." He says, smiling at me.

    "Good morning." I answered.

    He pulls me closer to him, wrapping an arm around my bare waist. His touch still gives me the same effect as it did the first time. "I have a gift." he says suddenly.

    My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Huh?"

    "I got you something for Christmas." He smiles and sits up to get something from his suitcase.

    I widen my eyes in realization that I didn't get him anything. Oh my god. Why didn't I get him anything?! I was so new to this boyfriend and girlfriend thing that it didn't cross my mind that you had to give gifts.

    He walks back to the bed and I tried not to stare at his body, for he was wearing nothing on top too.

    I sat up, and I didn't even think to cover my body with the blanket as soon as he opened the box.

    What the—

    "Are you going to propose right now?" I asked when I saw a ring inside it. He immediately laughed at my reaction.

    He shakes his head. "No." He answers. I let out a relieved sigh. I mean, if he was going to propose I would say yes but I just think I was too young to get married.

    He speaks again. "Well, not yet." I felt butterflies when he said that.

    He takes the ring out of the box and puts it on me. It was a rose gold ring, adorned with pretty diamonds. "It's a promise ring." he explains.

    I look at it as it rested on my finger. "What are you promising?" I say, looking at him now.

    "Forever." He says, staring at me. "To love you right now, for the rest of this life, and all the lifetimes after it."

    I was tearing up now, not believing I was ever going to be loved by someone like this. To be loved by him like this.

    "Baby, don't cry." He says, looking worried as he wipes my tears away.

    "I love you." I said, still sobbing. The realization came to me again and I cried all the more. "I didn't even get you anything!" I cried.

    Nicolas laughs at my sudden outburst as he pulls me in for a kiss.

    Everyone were at the hotel's grounds now—where the countdown was going to be held. There were a bunch of lanterns that lit up the area, as people gathered together to welcome the new year.