Chapter 19

1st of January 1964

Today is the last time I'll ever see him. I had promised myself to not ever be near him again. I will go back to being the girl in the sidelines, the one that cheers him on in secret.

I have realized how our worlds are just too far apart. From how we looked like, up until our status. He will always be him and I will always be just me.

I will always love him.
He's someone I will never regret being with, even if it was just for a little while.

Maybe in another place and another time,
when people don't care no more about race, or status, or power.

Maybe in another life,
we'd meet again
as better version of ourselves.

And by that time, I hope I would be someone courageous enough to stay with him.
I hope he'd still be someone that loves me enough to fight for me.

I will always remember you, my H.G.

    My chest felt heavy as I read the last page of my grandmother's diary. It was the last page wherein she mentions him. Even until now, the only information I had of him was his initials.

   H.G.

    My grandmother loved in the way she knew how. She loved him by letting him go.

    I can't help but feel sad over how their story turned out. I wonder where that man is now, I wonder if he had also found a family of his own.

    "Are you going home for winter break?"

    I looked up from the notebook to bring my attention to Yanny. We were in her living room, binge eating as a celebratory way of finishing our finals.

    I thought about it.

    I didn't really want to go back to that place anymore because it reminded me of how stuck I felt. I didn't want to go back to being the girl from high school who was always so quiet, afraid of doing the wrong thing because she always wanted to please others.

    But it was Christmas. Even if I wasn't the biggest fan of the pressure my parents always seem to give me whenever they're around, I still loved them. I still want to spend the holidays with them.

    And, I wanted to ask my dad about this. Maybe me and Yanny's grandmother told our dads about it. I badly wanted to know who H.G. was.

    "Yeah. We'll be back here for new year's anyway, right?" I asked her.

    "Okay. Since you're going I'm just gonna come with too." Yanny says as she starts packing her stuff.

    "Do you want me to drive you to the airport?" Nicolas says from beside me. We were laying in my bedroom since he decided to spend the night because I was leaving for the next few days.

    Nick didn't have many plans for Christmas. I actually felt bad about leaving him alone here but he assured me that he was going to be fine. We were spending New Year's Eve together anyway.

    "No need. Me and Yanny will just go there together." I told him as his hands combed my hair. It was so calming that I feel like I was about to doze off.

    "Are you sure you'll be okay here? I could just stay—" before I could finish my sentence he spoke. "I'll be fine, Sky. I'm pretty sure your parents miss you. You should go visit." He says, kissing the top of my head.