Chapter 11

"The way you walk you got it, the way you talk you got it, the way you smile you got it, and you don't take shit from nobody, I know you a bad lil chick that I met right around the way, I see your mind want you to leave, but your heart telling you to stay, you ain't got to cry no more, you ain't got to cry no more, I ain't telling you I'm perfect but for you I'll go to war ~ K Camp"

_

"Ahhhhh! Oh my fucking Gosh!" Valentina screamed as she looked out the window.

"What the hell?!" Deontae yelled as he slammed on the breaks.

"That nigga back there had herpes! It was so fucking nasty! It was all over his damn face! Ew! He needs to cover that shit up!" Valentina says as she begins to get angry. "And this muthafucka gon' walk around all proud and shit! Look at 'em. Nasty bitch!" She yelled out the window.

"Best friend, chill. I can't be fighting no nigga with herpes for you." Deontae says while laughing.

"Can I ask you a question?" Valentina asked. Deontae had never heard this much seriousness in her voice.

He turned the radio off and then parked the car on the side of the road so he could give her his undivided attention.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he looked over at her.

"Well, my parents have been arguing a lot lately and it's always about that Jody nigga. When I'm in the room, they act like everything's okay but I can feel the tension in the room between them. I've never seen them this mad at each other." Valentina says.

"Valentina, your parents have an unbreakable bond. They've been together for like 20 years. I don't think they'd throw it all away." Deontae says.

"Your grandparents were married for almost forty years and they got divorced." Valentina said.

"My grandparents went thru a lot. They had 4 children together. The oldest doesn't want anything to do with us or our side of the family, the second is always in and out of jail, the third has so many women claiming their child is his that he had to leave the country, and my mama," Deontae says before pausing. "They said she was the perfect little angel until she met my father." He said.

Deontae actually wanted to do something with his life. He wanted to make his grandmother and his sister proud.

"Look, Valentina," Deontae sighs. "My best advice is not to let it ruin or effect your day. I wanna be able to walk across the stage with you on graduation day in our caps and gowns so I need you to focus on school and not your parents." Deontae said. "You can't spend the rest of your life worrying about other people because people are gonna do whatever they want regardless."

"You're right! I shouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure it's nothing." Valentina nods in agreement as Deontae starts driving again.

A few minutes later, he pulled up at their school.

"You ready?" He asked Valentina. She nodded as they got out of the car.

The closer they got to opening the school doors, the more nervous Deontae began to get for what was about to happen next. They had about ten minutes left before they had to go to class.

Valentina walked to her locker and when she open it, a cheerleader jumped out.

"What the hell?" Valentina mumbled as the cheerleaders, the marching band, students, and a few teachers came running over towards Valentina's locker forming a circle while playing instruments and dancing.

She turned around to look at Deontae and notice that he was down on one knee with a rose and a sign that said "Will you go to prom with a nigga like me?"