Chapter 24

"Well, happiness is when, you really feel good with somebody, but nothing wrong with being in love with someone" ~ Al Green

***

"Deontae, did you forget that you were supposed to turn right?" Diamond asked Deontae as he continued to drive pass Miguel's house.

"No, I didn't." Deontae says. "Look, it ain't gon' be none of that Scooby Doo shit going on, aight? We're going home and we're sticking together."

"She doesn't want us there! She kicked both of us out, remember?" She reminds him.

"She agreed to stay at a hotel for the next few days, so we're good."

"He's right, Diamond." Miguel says. "It might be too much for you to go back to my place so soon."

She sighs before giving in. "You sure she isn't coming back?"

"For six hundred dollars, she better be enjoying the fuck out of that hotel room." He says as he pulls into the driveway. There was an unknown car already parked in the driveway. Although it was unknown, it still looked familiar.

"Who's car is that?" Diamond asked. "I thought no one was home."

"It's probably some woman that Uncle Rick invited over." He says before unfastening his seatbelt. "I'll go in first and make sure everything's okay."

"Uh, Deontae what—"

"I know you're going to miss me." He cuts Valentina off. "I'll be back, baby." He kisses her cheek before getting out of the car. He walks up to the front door and turns the doorknob only to discover that it was unlocked. "I am too cute to die. Fuck am I tryna be? A hero?" He says out loud to himself. "You are a strong, independent black man! You can do this!" He encourages himself before stepping inside.

He saw a woman and a man sitting on the couch, it looked like they were in the middle of an argument. They turned their heads in his direction. He looked at them confused, wondering why they weren't explaining themselves.

"Who are you?" Deontae asked them as the woman slowly stood up and stared at him like she hasn't seen him in ages.

"Well don't just stand there." She smiles before opening her arms. "Come give your mother a hug, darling."

"Wha—" He couldn't even finish what he was going to say as he began to look around the living room at the pictures of Sonya. She still looks the same, just a little bit older. "Who's he?"

The man chuckles before saying, "You don't recognize your own father?" He asked

The man chuckles before saying, "You don't recognize your own father?" He asked. "I've been gone far too long, haven't I?"

"What the fuck is this? A failed attempt to host a family reunion?"

"Watch your mouth!" Sonya yells at him. She was strongly fighting the urge to slap him. She's not a woman that you want to piss off, but she stayed calm so she can get what she came for.