27

I figured if I'd want to break a devil's heart, I ought to do that at a public place where the audience would not hesitate for a second to lend a hand, unlike the one where we met for the first time after I managed to escape him, the place where he threatened me to live with him but no one was there to save me.

So I booked a place at a prestigious restaurant, where all the rich men and women dine, where all the politicians and publicists dine, where all those influential people dine so they can be my witnesses should he decide to do something bad to me.

A table for two right in the middle of the restaurant, on a Friday night just a day from my wedding date, which we both dress impeccably as if we're celebrating a special occasion.

Well, it is special for me, for this would be the night I'm finally free.

"Thank you Baby," he grins boyishly, looking all smitten and gingerly as he holds my hand, "I love you."

I flash him a smile, a reply to his gratitude.

He has been excited since the past two days when I told him about the reservation I made, to the point of making a promise he'd take care of the next date, that he'd bring me somewhere as worthy as this restaurant.

There won't be a next date, but you're free to dream, Gabriel.

I listen to more of his sweet nothings as we go through our first course, then our second, third, fourth, until we're left with the last course that I decided it's time.

It's time to drop the bomb.

"I'm getting married."

The smile that has been decorating his face since we got here has gone wider, clearly taking what I just said the wrong way.

"This year?" He tilts his head with a hint of playfulness.

"Yes."

"Okay," he's obviously too cheery for my liking but I'm gonna let him get wild for a while, especially when he adds, "This month?" 

"Yes."

He chuckles amusingly, "This week?"

"This weekend."

His hand creeps to mine once again, "I'm game if you want to elope."

"I don't want to elope."

"I don't think we can get married this weekend, Baby. The weekend is tomorrow."

I take my hand gently and that's when his smile starts to fade. He's finally taking the hints.

"I'm getting married this Sunday, Gabriel."

He stares at me in confusion. He's not mad, he's not sad, he's just... taken aback with the news, clearly not expecting it.

"To another man."

He straightens his body, but still hasn't said a word, as if asking me for an explanation. His eyes are still on me, and it's obvious he's trying to calm himself.

"I have a boyfriend, and I love him. I'm marrying him this Sunday."

"What do you mean you have a boyfriend? We've been together for five months."

"You forced me to be with you this five months. You forced me when I've told you so many times I don't wanna be with you, I don't wanna be in a relationship with you."

"So you love him?"

I sigh, "Yes."

He fixes his posture again while I sing a little prayer for him to behave until I get to leave this place safely. I've planned out everything; eat, spill, get the hell out of here without having any alone time with him. I'd ask a waiter to accompany me to the cab if I have to.

"How long have you been with him?"

"Why do you care? I'm getting married this weekend, doesn't matter what you-"

"How long, Charlie?" The tone halts my words that I clear my throat before answering him in a whisper, "Three months."

He groans before he throws another question in that same tone, "Did you sleep with him?"

"Yes." I haven't but I need to sell this. Anything goes, as long as I get my freedom by the end of tonight.

"You're lying," I gulp upon hearing his accusation, "You've been with me every single night. You've been with me every single day and night. You're lying."

"Not on Saturday afternoons."

I grip the hem of the tablecloth for courage as I dare myself to look at him in the eye throughout this whole conversation. My hands tremble, my heart is threatening to come out of my chest but I have to do this, I have to save myself. I can't live with him anymore. I need to reclaim my life.

"That family lunch is just an excuse?"

"My family knows him. We have lunch together." Go Charlie, go. You can do this. "Then we'd go to his place and fuck."

He looks like he's about to eat me, and by the sight of his fingers curling into a fist, he's gonna torture me in every possible way before serving me to the wolves in the jungle.

"You told me to try, which I did. I did try, Gabriel. But I still don't love you. This whole thing between us should come to a stop, don't you think? I've given my best. But it's clearly not working because I fall in love with my boyfriend, not you. I love him, I want to marry him."

"Okay."

What? Did he just say okay? Or it's just my mind playing tricks because I've been dreaming for this moment to happen? It can't be this easy? Okay? Just like that?

"Marry him."

It's real. He really said okay. He just said marry him! It's real!

"He had you every Saturday afternoon when we're together, it's only fair I have you on Saturday afternoons now that you guys are together."

What?

He suddenly stands up and buttons his suit coat, "I'll see you next Saturday."

My mouth opens and closes but I can't seem to say even one word. I'm trying to digest the absurdity he just uttered.

Suffocation fills me instead of freedom as I watch him walk away. The confident strides tell me what he just said was an actual promise instead of just a threat.