The Denial..

I walked into the conference room with the laptop. I stood in front of the screen ready to present. I saw him opposite me waiting for me to start the presentation. I couldn't keep eye contact. It was embarrassing for some reason. I managed to start the presentation even if it was not that smooth. Throughout the presentation, he gave me a convincing smile and nodded his head. As it went by it was getting better.

"And That's my idea on this project. Any questions?" I looked at him raising my eyebrows."Nope let's move forward with it." Everyone applauded. You looked at Appu who was smiling at you brightly clapping like a child. Everyone stood up and left the room congratulating you.

"Guess we'll see each other more often now." He came up to me while I was packing my things. "Yes, I guess.." I said chuckling softly. 

"So what do you say think the thing I asked you?" He asked raising his eyebrows."Excuse me?" I tried acting dumb but was caught off guard. "You know about having dinner.." 

"Listen I have a boyfrie-"  

"I know that you guys don't talk or see each other anymore." He cut me off. "But that doesn't change the fact that I love him...I'm sorry I just can't." I picked up my files and walked out of the door. I stood before my table staring at the files.

"Is everything okay?" Appu asked me tapping on my shoulder."Nope, everything is perfect! You wanna go to the coffee shop?"

"I'm sorry I've got plans. I'll see you tomorrow!" She hugged me tightly. I grabbed my handbag and rushed to the elevator and he was in there too. I stood there reluctant to enter. "Listen you can't avoid me all the time. I'm your client just get in." He said holding the door for me.

"See I know that you were serious about what you guys had and all but can we have dinner at least as friends? I  mean I used to make coffee for you back then!" He said.

"First of all you never made the coffee. And I just don't think that having dinner with you might not be  a good idea." I said smiling at him. "Come on! Don't make me beg for it." The door opened and I walked out silently. 

"Kriti, Please! Just this once.." He said as I turned back. "FINE!" I sighed.

'I mean he was literally begging. How can I ignore something like that? Plus there was no sign of John. Neither he answered my texts nor did he call. So I guess a dinner won't hurt. He's my client and we're office partners and that's it!' I said all these to myself as If I'm convincing myself. I just didn't know if I was ready to move on. He clearly likes me and I can't unsee it. Even though John has clearly moved on living his best life, I was still in denial about the fact that he doesn't love me anymore...

 Even though John has clearly moved on living his best life, I was still in denial about the fact that he doesn't love me anymore