Don't Look Away (5)

Part Five: The Jester Watches Over You

October 31, 1981
7:47p.m.
Fallsworth Crow Neighborhood
Norwood, Maine
Human World

Third Person's POV
Liam looked at the tall masked man, and so did the masked girl. Liam seemed utterly confused, since the masked man's sudden appearance caught him off guard.

"The Jester would like to know what you were about to do to the young girl?" asked the spider with a human head, standing next to the masked man, the Jester.

Liam and the girl looked down at the spider named Eiji.

     "...I wasn't going to do anything. We were just leaving," Liam snarked.

     "Then why were you gripping onto her as if you were trying to hurt her?"

The girl looked up at the masked man, seeing the stitches sewn on his throat.

Liam replies to Eiji, stating, "I wasn't trying to hurt her."

"She tried to tug away from you multiple times. Wouldn't you take that as a sign that maybe you were hurting her-?"

     "What do you want from me? We were just leaving until you showed up. I don't even know who you are. But both of you, leave us alone." Liam was about to walk away. "Come on," he ordered the girl. But he didn't hear footsteps behind him.

When he turned around, he saw her hesitating to leave, so she stayed where she was, as the Jester and Eiji stood next to her.

Liam sighed, rolling his eyes, knowing what she wants. "Fine... You go ahead and trick-or-treat with them. I'm bored anyway."

And with that, he walked away. Eiji looked up to see the Jester, and so did the girl, but he had vanished. But they saw him approaching her with the pillow case full of candy she had dropped, and he handed it back to her.

Then Eiji says, "The Jester would like to know if you'd be willing to continue trick-or-treating, but with us?"

The girl looked at them, not responding, but not walking away either. So they took it as a sign that she wanted to stay with them.

"My name is Eiji, and he goes by the Jester."

Nobody seemed to be bothered by the fact that there was a two foot spider roaming, and people were looking at him as if he were a small child.

When they started walking, the first house they walked up to was one that had its lights on, but a bowl of candy was on the porch, and the bowl had a sign that read, "Please take one."

The girl looked at the jester, at the door, then at the bowl of candy. Liam had told her that if there was a bowl of candy just sitting outside, then she should only take one candy, so she did just that. Afterward, she stepped back, about to try to walk over to a different house, but didn't hear footsteps behind her.

When she looked back, she saw the Jester still standing next to the bowl of candy.

"It says to only take one, sir," Eiji stated.