Don't Look Away (11)

Part Eleven (final): Kinship

October 31, 1984
8:30p.m.
Fun Autumn Fair
Norwood, Maine

Third Person's POV
Some children and teenagers were strolling down the paths, as the rest of them were either on the ferris wheel, rollercoasters, or other rides. It was a fun Halloween for everyone. But it was late and a school night, so there was only a small amount of people in the fair.

Mizuki and Joker were there, too. Mizuki was actually wearing a "costume", wearing Joker's black top hat, his blue tailcoat (which was too large on her), and was wearing a black dress instead of a white one. Joker usually didn't dress up in a costume, but still felt the need to wear some sort of hat and coat, so he had on a black fedora hat and a red tailcoat.

Mizuki walked away from one of the booths, holding a large cone of cotton candy. "This Halloween is fun! I am glad I dressed up this year, even though humans are not aware that I am dressed up as you. But it does not matter."

She looked up at the ferris wheel, and her soft, welcoming smile was wiped off her face.

Joker looked down at her and noticed her frowning as she looked at the ferris wheel.

"That looks frightening, does it not?" Mizuki remarked, looking up at Joker. "But it seems fun, as well. Sometimes fear can hold you back from something you could eventually become fond of."

When the magician looked at the ferris wheel, he already had a plan in mind focusing on how to get he and the girl into one of the seats without paying since they didn't have any money, they were just sneaking onto rides. Mizuki was already aware that he had an idea, and began following him as he walked over to the ferris wheel.

When the two of them approached the ride, they heard crying. Mizuki froze, and Joker looked at her.

     "Do you hear it?" she asked.

She looked up at Joker before walking towards the sound of crying, followed by him. When the two of them found who was crying, they saw a young boy — who couldn't have been younger than four — wearing a Batman costume sobbing behind the ringtoss booth.

Mizuki immediately felt sympathetic and knelt down in front of him. "Are you alright? What is the matter?"

The boy looked up at her, lifting his head up. Sobbing, he replies, "I-I can't find my papa! I'm lost..."

"Oh... Do not cry! It will be okay. Do you remember where or when you lost him?"

"At the t-tall wheel thingy... I'm scared..." The boy sniffled.

Mizuki looked up at Joker, who was standing behind her, then looked back at the boy and asks, "May we help you look for your papa? We do not have to if you do not feel safe with us."

The boy looked at the girl in front of him and at the tall man. When he looked at the girl, he nodded, wiping the tears from his cheeks with his sleeve as he stood up. When Mizuki stood up, the boy asked, "What's your name?" He still had a frown on his face.

"I am Mizuki, and this is Magic-Man. Do not worry, we will find who you are looking for."

The boy nodded his head. "My name is Will."