KIDS: Alio (2)

July 3, 1985
10:50a.m.
Sunny Side Trailer Park

Third Person's POV
Alio's mother, Nora, was getting ready to leave after visiting her son.

     "Well, the car's waiting outside, I just wanted to drop off some books you'll need for school, all right? You really need to get your grades up," Nora told Alio. She smiled at him. "Anything you want from the apartment?"

Alio shook his head. "No, no. Just knowing you're gonna be there is enough."

Nora hugged him. "All right, well, be good. I love you."

As she was heading toward the door, Alio felt compelled to say to her, "You missed my best Milo's birthday??" He sort of just stood there for a moment. "Or... Something to that effect."

Nora froze and slowly turned around, appearing guilty. She walked up to him. "Okay. Look, it- it was stupid."

Alio nodded, agreeing. "Really stupid."

     "Really stupid," she said. "There was a lot going on, and... I don't even know how it happened. How I can I forget my own son's birthday?" She felt sorrowful. "I'm sorry, honey. I promise it will never happen again." She softly smiled as she looked at him. "Are we okay now?"

     "Yeah," Alio said as he nodded. But he thought for a second. Hesitantly, he tells her, "...No. No."

A few minutes later, as fourteen-year-old Jesper was walking up to Alio's trailer park, he heard yelling coming from inside of the trailer, and saw Alio's fifteen-year-old younger brother, Camilo, leaning against the door, listening to what's going on inside.

Jesper just froze and blinked. "Ah. The forbidden love of a boy and his door."

Camilo flinched when he heard him, then turned to look at him. "Shh!" He tells him, "Alio did it! He finally told mom off! Not just about the money and missing Milo's birthday, about everything!"

     "You're kidding."

Camilo shook his head. "No, no. He said, 'When're you gonna grow up and start being a mom?'"

Jesper looked surprised. "Wow-"

     "Wait, wait! And she came back with, 'When're you gonna grow up and realize I have a bomb?'"

Jesper was about to nod along, but he just froze and blinked, processing what he was just told. "...Wait, uh, are you sure she didn't say, 'When're you gonna grow up and realize I am your mom?'"

Camilo just stared at him for a moment. Then he nodded, smiling. "That makes more sense, yeah-"

     "You think?" Jesper asked. "What's happening now?"

Shrugging, Camilo says, "I don't know. I've just been standing here spelling it out for you-"

The two of them rush back to the door and Camilo listens to what is happening inside of the trailer.

He whispers, "I don't hear anything- Oh! Wait, wait-" He looks through the peephole.

Jesper asks him, "What do you see?"