CHR1/CH2 - Suspicions and an Unwilling Departure

Guy spoke to his stockman by the farm gate at the end of the day, enquiring as to the efforts of his temporary worker. "He has worked well Master," he said, " he is experienced in the handling of stock, and has set his mind to everything he has been called upon to do. I find him a little taciturn in his outlook, and he is somewhat curious about the farm and the family, in particular your Aunt. Of course, I have said nothing, but he is persistent and probing in his questioning. Is he previously known to you Sir?"

"No, he is not," said Guy, "and I believe this matter merits further investigation. I commend you on your days work, and please carry my respects to your lady wife. I will see you on the morrow." As he walked back to the farmhouse, he could see that the pile of wood by the kitchen door had been augmented since the beginning of the day. As he had not asked for the wood to be cut, he could only assume that Matthew Hopkins had carried out the task unbidden, and he felt his hackles rise at the man's impudence.

When he opened the door, it was to the sight of his wife and their new farm worker in close conversation at the table, despite his orders to the contrary, but Auriel forestalled his angry remark. She held up a large bunch of meadow flowers and said joyously, it seemed to him, "look what Matthew has picked for me today, such a kind thought, how could he know that I love these blooms, and he has replenished the woodpile, I know you hate splitting logs my love, now he has saved you the task."

Guy bit back his enraged reply, not wanting to embarrass his wife, and he spoke very softly, though angrily, to the man who had dared to place himself in such familiar contact with her. "You will leave this kitchen now! I made my views very clear when I offered you employment, you were to stay away from the house, except to collect your meals. I will not warn you again. If you repeat this social indiscretion, I will eject you from this farm with my own hands! Goodnight!"

As the man opened his mouth to speak, Guy opened the kitchen door, the gesture making his feelings quite plain, but Matthew sidled slowly past, his manner quite nonchalant, "I was merely being polite Sir," he said," your good lady opened the door as I was building up the logs, and she offered me cider, I thought it would give offence if I refused, and I presented the flowers in thanks for her kindness to me yesterday."

"Get from my sight!" said Guy, " lest I beat you for your damned impertinence, my wife has no need for the attentions of such as you, creeping and spying about the place, even my stockman has spoken of it! What has my family to do with you, that you enquire so after my business?"

"I have no wish to offend Sir," said Matthew "it is just my way, I generally like to familiarise myself with my surroundings thus, because I find it helps to be on good terms with those who employ me, that is all."

"You have asked about my wife's Aunt in particular," said Guy, " yet you cannot know of her, she travelled away many months ago, and you also questioned my stockman, who has never met her. Explain yourself!"

"I have given you my reasons Sir," he said, "if you cannot accept my words as truth, it seems fruitless to converse further, goodnight."

All the while Guy could feel his wife's eyes at his back, but she would never challenge him openly in front of a stranger, though he supposed she would take him to task about his behaviour when this damned upstart left his house. The standoff eventually ended as Guy closed the door, and turned to face his wife.

Expecting her wrath,  he was shocked by her smile, as she said "you can be so masterful my love, it always surprises me, because you are always so gentle towards your family, especially to our children. I confess I was longing for your return, and struggling to remain polite in the face of all Matthew's pretence at cordiality. I feel sure he is deceitful in some way."