CHR3/CH2-Auriel's Terror, and Breakfast Time Nonsense

Whilst he delighted in his namesake, it took several days for Guy to fully grasp in his mind that he had brought another of his children safely into the world, and he was very mindful that the arrival of Abigail, the daughter who was so precious to him, had been so nearly a tragedy, only averted by the midwifery skills of Aunt Gwyneth. Before the birth of his new son, he had pondered long and deep on the perilous journey upon which his beloved Auriel had been about to embark. Though not a deeply religious man, he had prayed hard for the safety of both mother and child, and he now thanked God for answering that prayer.

Because of the relative ease with which she had delivered her son, Auriel was up and about after a week, though the heavy work still fell to Aunt Gwyneth. Glenys helped out when she could, but was sometimes stricken with the sickness upon waking that most mothers experience, and was often late in her arrival. Little Guy proved to be a contented child, feeding well and thriving, and his father delighted in him, whilst trying to ensure that his other children were not denied his affection. Abigail, as always, was her Papa's shadow, often climbing onto his knee when he was holding his namesake, eager to place her own small arms around him.

At first there was no little confusion when the name Guy was heard in the house, but the child soon became known as Little Guy, thus making things clear to all.  As the weeks passed more heifers were put to the bull, and by Michaelmas most were in calf. All the animals were still grazing outside into January, the Winter being unseasonably warm, but with the approach of February, the sky darkened and the blizzards began. Guy was well provided with winter fodder for all of the animals, Aunt Gwyneth having warned him of the approaching snow, though none at the house knew how she came by the knowledge.

"I see many things," she said mysteriously, "I generally know of the reason, but I can smell snow as well as my mother before me, and there's an end to it. Get those animals in, or you will rue the day!"

Guy and Hywell hastened to carry out her instruction, Guy knowing instinctively that she was rarely wrong in her predictions. Gethin and Ewan now came with their mother each day, to assist with the work, mucking out with good grace and humour, and tending to the many confined beasts, knowing that they would be well fed for their efforts, and that it would doubtless be their own mother's recipes on the table.

One crisp and cold noontime Guy walked with the boys to the kitchen, eager for hot sustenance after a hard morning's labour. He found all his children playing or reading before the parlour fire, the snow being too deep for the twins to walk to the priory for their lessons, and little Guy was snug in his crib near to the kitchen fire.

"Where is my girl?" said Guy," she was sleeping when I left her this morning, and the sight of her smile would warm me on this cold day."

I sent her out walking ," said Aunt Gwyneth, " I thought she was a mite pale today, and that the fresh air would benefit her."

Guy leapt from his chair, " Dear God, where is she walking, we did not pass her in the lane."

"She set off towards to the river with flowers for the graves, about an hour since."

"Sweet Christ," shouted Guy, "we have put out the bull in the far river meadow, and he is not pegged!"

"Go for Hywel! Go now!" Guy ordered, " tell him to bring a chain!" and the two boys rushed off to do his bidding. Then Guy sprinted away. Aunt Gwyneth stood silently by the fire, praying to a God whose existence she had always denied, whilst the boy's mother continued to stir the lamb stew.

"He'll reach her in time," she said, to no one in particular, " he has a fine turn of speed." Then she seemed to come to her senses. " Watch the children," she said, before running rapidly in the same direction taken by the distraught Guy as he raced to save his precious wife, and the mother of his children. All the while she was running, she was thinking as her heart pounded. "If we join in our magic, we can save her, we can keep the bull at bay until Hywell comes." Then she groaned as she realised that the closely guarded secret of their magic could well mean the death of their girl should anyone from the farm be there to see.