CHR2/CH4-The New Thatch, and Auriel Learns a Lesson

Another suggestion agreed to, was suitable sleeping accommodations for Gethin and Ewan, at their behest, as they had been asked to assist with the labouring required during rebuilding. Guy consented immediately, knowing that very little effort would be required to fulfil this need, the smaller of his two barns having been occupied previously by the dwarves who had come to the family's aid when the threat of the Red Witch had hung over them. He was confident that they could carry out the arrangements themselves, as so little alteration would be required.

Auriel said that she and Aunt Gwyneth would look to the linens stored in wooden chests by the back wall of the barn and that it was to be hoped that the moths had not got there before them. "There are spare quilts in the dresser," she said to Guy, "we know at least they will be intact! But new feather mattresses will have to be purchased."

As some of the guests made to leave the table, Guy asked them to remain. "I have other arrangements and requirements of my own to discuss," he said, "and I would value other opinions on them if you can spare the time. It is my intention to go back to dairy farming, for there is little profit in beef I have found. The last of the bullocks can go for slaughter, and I aim to travel south for a bull. You boys can have work around the farm in my absence if it suits, and if so, you will look to Hywell, who speaks for me in all things, what say you?"

The young lads readily agreed, and Guy saw that his stockman was pleased with this decision. "I can't be doing with the instruction of strangers," he said, "these lads know the farm, and the work, it'll do for me Sir. We shall tend the cattle until your return, for they will fetch a better price with more good grass inside them. How long do you look to be gone Sir, if I may ask?"

Guy reached for Auriel's hand before he replied, and squeezed it gently because he knew she would take the news hard. "Three weeks at least, perhaps four or five," he said, "I want the best, and will likely have to travel far to find it in these straightened times. It will of course, have to be walked back to this farm after it's purchase, and there is no telling how long that will take." He felt his wife draw closer to him, and when he turned to look at her, he saw that her face was pale, her eyes wide with the shock of his words, and he held her hand more tightly to try and comfort her.

"If there is nothing else, we bid you all goodnight," he said, "and we thank you for your company, we will talk more on work to be undertaken during my absence, but I am confident that this farm will be in safe hands. I aim to leave in a week, the days grow longer, and more miles can be covered each day, can I ask of you all that you look to my family in my absence?"

"They'll come to no harm Sir," said Hywell, " you may rely on that, and these lads are willing I'm sure, especially if the eating is good, and I know it will be, for both your Aunt and your good lady are grand cooks between them, and Glenys will help out when she has no beasts to care for. But what of the building work Sir, is it to be put off, or shall you need me to oversee it?"

"The thatcher should be here tomorrow," said Guy, "he has sent word. He brings six others along with him, and says he can be done in five days, but however long it may take, I shall remain until it is completed. As for the other work, it still requires planning and costing, though I aim to carry out most of the labouring myself with the able assistance of these willing lads here. A new herd of heifers will take time to settle in, he continued, "that is if we can purchase them locally, and they will be put to the bull as they come to their fertility. That must be our main aim, this is to be a dairy farm again, and a successful one if we all pull together. There is profit in milk, cream, butter and cheese, and I will be looking to my wife to instruct in the making of it, she is a fair hand at churning or so I've been told!"

All was silent in the kitchen when the door closed behind the last of the visitors, then Auriel said a soft goodnight, before going quickly up the stairs. Aunt Gwyneth cleared the table, and then said she would also go to her bed. As she passed Guy at the bottom of the stairs, she said, "you will need to handle her gently, she will take your absence hard, a little warning of your intent would have made it easier, but I see good sense in your future plans, and I will give support to you when required. Now kiss your Aunt, and then go to that poor girl I can hear weeping upstairs."