CHR1/CH4- The Continuance of Malice

Auriel watched Guy over the following days, and she had never seen him in his present state of mind, he seemed unable to rest or settle, and though she tried to calm him, it was to no avail. He rose early a week later, calmly dressed, and kissed her in farewell, as was his usual habit, and then looked briefly at his four sleeping children. Auriel heard the bolts at the kitchen door slide back, and then heard his loud cry.

" God rot the man, what mischief can this be!"

She got up and called down the stairs, but he bade her remain in the bedroom and not allow the children to come down.

" 'Tis is more trouble my love, but there is nothing to fear, the creatures are dead. I shall deal with it, and call you when I am done."

But Auriel was already behind him, and her hands flew to her mouth when she saw. Nailed to the door were two dead crows, their entrails hanging beneath them, and their dead eyes open and staring. Attached to the lintel above was a live adder, still squirming and wriggling, though it had been speared in the same manner as the crows.

Guy felt, rather than saw her behind him, yet he did not turn, and she could hear the rage in his voice when he spoke. "When I ask you to stay, why can you not obey me!" He shouted, "what if our children had followed you, all unknowing of this dreadful thing! Get yourself upstairs. Go, now!"

Though his boiling anger made her want to obey him, she tarried awhile at the bottom of the stairs, listening to him curse. She watched as he took the poker and despatched the adder, throwing it away from him into the yard, where it continued to squirm in its agony. Then he took a dish drying cloth, using it to cover his hands as he wrested the two dead birds from the door. Wrapping them quickly, he left the kitchen, and she went to the window as he tossed them onto the midden, kicking them beneath the other farm refuse where they would not be seen by his children.

Auriel was filling a pail at the pump as he walked back, and he took it from her hands, noting her sodden nightgown.

"I will clean the door my love," he said, "you are soaked through. Dress yourself, and come back to me if the little ones are still sleeping."

As she walked away from him, he called out, "Auriel," and when she turned to him he said softly, "Forgive my angry words sweet girl, I spoke without thought, and my black temper had risen in me. I sought only to protect you from whoever has done this terrible thing, thinking they may still be about the place, concealed somewhere."

She ran to him, and he lifted her into his arms, she was soaking wet, and now bloodied from his hands, but they paid it no mind as they held each other. He kissed her gently, and she favoured him with one of her smiles, though he could see the dread still in her eyes, and she was trembling as she returned his kiss.

Then she said, " I must look to the children, your kiss is welcome, but then, I cannot recall a time when it was not. We must take care lest we frighten the little ones, this is their home, they must feel safe here. We shall be safe my love, say it, so that I may believe it! Oh how I wish Aunt Gwyneth were here, I miss her comforting presence, and the little ones ask for her constantly."

"I think it is time for her to come back to us," Guy agreed, "one of us should Commune with her perhaps, but the hill is a dark and treacherous place when there is malice abroad. It shall be me, I think, I will arm myself, and not leave until our young watchers are here this evening. Though if ask it of her tonight, it will be a while 'til her coming, that is if she is willing."

Breakfast was a very fraught affair, though the little ones seemed not to notice, and there was the usual scramble with the twins as they sought their books and boots before their walk to the Priory for their lessons. Hywel was to accompany them for their safety, at least until the person plaguing the farm was discovered. Guy had also sent word for two of the monks to fetch them home, merely saying when asked, that he had heard there were outlaws abroad. The promise of farm produce in return, was gratefully received.