CHR9/CH3 - Abigail's Prophecy, and it's Fulfilment

The pride that Guy felt in his eldest son was evident in his eyes whenever he saw him, after the day of the rescue. That a boy so young could show such courage, was a source of wonder to him. He had given of himself willingly, and risked all to save his sister. Guy knew that at first his son had sought only to wipe out the stain of his name calling, but nonetheless he had redeemed himself.

The time did come however, to speak of all the unusual events involving Abigail. Work about the farm kept Guy away from the house for many hours over the following days, and life continued as it always did.

Children were schooled, furniture was dusted, floors swept, and fresh bread was made daily.

The weather continued fine, with a lively breeze, and linens were dried outside. Two goats were borrowed from a neighbouring farm to eat back the grass to the rear of the house, to the delight of Beatrice and little Guy, because the creature was new to them.

" The pure joy of innocence," said Guy, " if only it could remain as they grow. I can scarce believe that our twins will soon reach fourteen years, and every year a delight. The day of their birth was the happiest day of my life, save for the day we met sweet girl."

"This tiny babe comes to us soon," said Auriel, placing his hands on her belly, "another for us to love."

"And love it we will," he replied, kissing her gently, " as we do the others, they are part of us, each and every one, whether born to us, or to another, all equally cherished and valued."

He spoke of Simeon, who was especially dear to them, a boy sold by his own mother, and made a slave, until Auriel had come upon him and purchased his freedom. A boy with bright golden hair, amongst the dark and auburn heads of his brothers and sisters.

A boy who had sought a Papa, and had found such a man in Guy of Gisborne.

It was early evening when those concerned for Abigail came together at the kitchen table. Edmund sat with Gwyneth on one side, with Auriel and Guy at the other. It was recognised that Edmund had spoke true in his mention of a spirit child, though no one knew who the child could be.

When the farm had been purchased fourteen years ago, there had been no written evidence of previous tenants, but on the bill of sale, the name Gisborne had been written as to Guy's instruction.

The stockman and his wife, Ivor and Richildis who remained in employment when the farm was taken over, knew only of the tenant farmer and his family, for whom they had laboured for three years, prior to the arrival of Guy and Auriel.

Edmund and Gwyneth had visited the Priory to enquire as to births, marriages, deaths, burials and such, but the record keeping was poor, and no further evidence was forthcoming other than that in the previous fifty years four tenants had made bequests upon their deaths. No doubt to ensure their admittance to Paradise.

It was believed by some that the purchase of an 'Indulgence' could also smooth the way on a journey heavenwards, these took many forms and were sometimes ancient relics, or items that were claimed to be such by the seller.

" There is naught to be done," avowed Gwyneth, " your daughter has somehow inherited magic beyond our understanding, but we must allow her to be a child, for that is what she is."

"There is perhaps a need to communicate somehow with this ' spirit child' that Edmund speaks of, but we must not alarm Abigail with questions. She will bear watching more closely, but I do not believe this unseen being means her harm."

Guy remained unconvinced, he loved his daughter dearly, and feared that her very innocence may yet prove to be her downfall.

"Does she summon this spirit child to her?" he asked, of anyone who might know the answer, but there was none forthcoming.