CHR9/CH2 - Strange Hauntings, and a Small Miracle

Though they tried not to dwell upon Abigail's unusual behaviour, Guy and Auriel found it hard to hide their concern, to the extent that the other children, and any needs they might have, were pushed aside. This manifested itself in disobedience and unruliness, especially at table.

When questioned on their behaviour, shoulders were shrugged, and defiance was much in evidence. When faced with such recalcitrance in their elder children, Guy had no alternative than to mete out punishment, though their mother was reluctant to see it carried out.

This led to a quarrelsome interlude between them, which, with Auriel in her present condition, led to further strife at the house, with Aunt Gwyneth casting her opinions higher and thither, mostly where they were not required.

After a day or so of slights and ill feeling, it was noted that Abigail was not present at table when the family sat to supper. The twins were despatched to look for their sister, but they returned without her.

" Did you not find her?" asked Guy, " have you searched everywhere?"

" We found her Papa," said Ghislaine, "but she would not come, she plays with her 'unseen friend'."

Guy left the table, his face full of regret as he looked at his rapidly cooling supper. He was hungry after his day's work, his expression speaking of his anger. She was his most favoured daughter, but he could not allow disobedience, especially as his other children looked on. As he neared the kitchen door, Gwyneth touched his arm.

"We shall go together," she said, " she will not want to see her Papa so angry. She will likely be hungry and more willing to come on the promise of honey pudding."

As they walked to the barn, Guy's anger subsided, but his eyes were troubled.

" I fear that this friend she so loves may do her harm," he said, " I am not a man to fear spirits and the like, in fact I have always doubted their existence, but something is taking my daughter from me, and I cannot allow it."

" You cannot stop it," she replied, " it has taken hold of her heart, and she feel a kinship with it, it may be that it is a ghost of a child that she is so drawn to, do not berate her for her innocent acceptance of what you yourself cannot understand. You must speak with her on it, that we may learn who or what it may be."

They passed Hywell in the yard, and his smile was wide.

" Little ones," he said, " what a joy they are, young Abigail is chattering away, but for the life of me I cannot see her playmate, hiding among the bales I'll warrant. She waved as I passed the door, sweet child that she is. I long for the day my own small daughter gains her voice, she tries hard, but is still too young to form the words."

Then he touched his forelock and was off, calling back that Glenys had made his favourite supper, and he had best not be tardy.

They heard Abigail long before they reached the barn, her laughter ringing out sweetly in the high vaulted roof. What they did not expect was that she would be so high above the ground, circling round and clapping her hands, her eyes fixed on something or someone only she could see.

"Dear God!" said Guy, rushing forward his long arms raised high above his head, "Abigail, come to your Papa, quickly now, lest you fall."

"I will not fall Papa," she replied, " my friend is here. Can you hear the music Papa, we are dancing, dancing on air."

As they watched the circling continued, and for a brief moment Guy believed he saw another child, but the vision was swiftly gone, and he thought his eyes had momentarily deceived him.

" Did you see?" he asked Gwyneth, " for a moment I thought ..... but there was no recognition in her face except for Abigail. At the sound of the anger in her Aunt's voice, Abigail drifted downward, her left arm reaching out, and her fingers curled around nothingness, but the joy in her face was reflected in her smile.