CHR8/CH5 - Guy's Injury, and Abigail's Forewarning

Two days later was Market day, so Guy retired at the same hour as his children, expecting to be on the road at six. At five thirty, he stopped at the cottage to leave instructions as to the work to be carried out in his absence, and Glenys came out with a basket.

" I thought the Mistress looked a little wearisome last evening Sir," she said, with the inevitable curtsy, " so I have made up a basket of tasty things you might enjoy on the road, I thought perhaps she would still be abed, I hope I do not presume too much."

" You will be the saving of me today," said Guy, " and I thank you for your thoughtfulness, if you say that your cheese scones are in this basket, I will be a happy man indeed."

" She has made her famous ham and egg pie as well Sir," said Hywell, " she has a light touch with the pastry, though how she finds time with our two young 'uns is a mystery to me! I have placed a few apples at the bottom, along with a good piece of cheese."

" I am more than grateful," said Guy, " I shall be home all the quicker for not having to stop at the tavern on the return journey. Expect me around seven or earlier if the road is passably dry."

The business he had to conclude at the Market in Llanlivet took a little longer than expected, and the basket that Glenys had prepared for him was very welcome. He stopped briefly at an inn to buy a flagon of ale, and at the halfway post to home, he stopped awhile at the edge of the track to partake of the food and drink, but as darkness was falling, he set off again soon after.

Though the road was passable, the horses were weary, stumbling often on the rutted track. All produce had been sold, and the purse at Guy's waist was heavy, little consolation when he was still so far from home. The man with whom he had done business had pressed hospitality, and he regretted already the wine he had drunk. A dull throbbing ache at the back of his head seemed settled in for the night, and he knew he needed water to alleviate his pain.

In the darkness it was difficult to ascertain the distance he had yet to travel, but he knew he had to press on, or he may very well finish the day by sleeping in the cart. He had no cloak in which to wrap himself, no feed for the horses, and the bare boards of the cart looked uninviting. He pulled up the horses, listening for any sound that there may be water nearby, but heard nothing, save the sound of an owl.

The horses were restless, no doubt anxious to slake their thirst, and Guy felt the need himself. He thought to loose one horse from the traces, to see if it could smell water in the air, but then thought to himself that it may wander off if freed from restraint. He cursed himself for not accepting company on his trip to market, having denied his farmhands the chance, finding to his cost  that it was hard to oversee two powerful horses, alone and in the dark.

There were no trees to which they could be tethered, and he had brought no long leading reins or pegs, thinking to be home before nightfall, and there being no necessity for stopping overnight on the road. There was no other way than to stop where he was, and leave the horses in the traces, he had no rings or other fastenings by which to fasten them to the side of the cart, or the ground, so thought it best to leave them where they were, though they would have no comfort through what would prove to be a very long night.

He would search out water himself, but being unable to leave the horses, lest they roam and drag the cart with them, he placed a large stone behind each of the back wheels, curled his body tightly for warmth, and closed his eyes, though he believed he would not sleep. He opened his eyes some hours later after dozing fitfully, and realised the cart was on the move. With some difficulty he manage to seat himself, but the two sets of reins were far beyond his reach, as the two horses gathered speed, doubtless at the smell of some water source or other.